This line is closed. It was intended to serve a number of mines in the Dolphinton area but these closed around the time the line opened. It was also an attempt to block an approach of the North British Railway from the east.
|01/03/1867||Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Carstairs to Dolphinton [CR] opened.
|10/11/1868||Scottish Central Railway|
Decision taken to move the locomotive shed at Dunblane Shed to Dolphinton [CR] on the Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway). The Kinbuck banking engine operated from Stirling after 1865.
|/ /1896||Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Turntable provided at Dolphinton [CR] to the west of the station, there may also have been a locomotive shed.
|/ /1906||Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Locomotive shed at Dolphinton [CR].
|31/12/1915||Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Dolphinton [CR] shed closed.
|/05/1933||Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Dolphinton [CR] shed removed.
|04/06/1945||Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Dolphinton [CR] to Carstairs (Dolphinton Junction) closed to passengers.
|01/11/1950||Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Dolphinton [CR] to Carstairs (Dolphinton Junction) closed to freight.
These locations are along the line.
The 1867 Dolphinton [CR] line started from a junction which allowed trains from Carstairs station to join the branch. A box opened with the junction. The Dolphinton branch severed the south to east 1848 curve (out of use from around 1860) and a replacement curve was built from Strawfrank Junction to Dolphinton Junction in 1872.
This was a small station south of Bankhead farm and a mile south of Carnwath at a very rural farmed location. The station had a single, short, platform on the north side of the single track line. There was a goods yard to the north, approached from the east, equipped with a single siding with a loop.
This was a single platform station south of the village of Newbigging. The platform was on the north (village) side of the single platform with a goods yard to the north, approached from the west. To the east of the station the line crossed over A721, the platform close to the bridge. The station building was small. To the north, at the road entry to the station yard, were two joined railway ...More details
This was a small station in the village of Dunsyre, just south of Dunsyre Mains.
This was the terminus of the single track line from Carstairs, built to the west of the A702 which separated it from Dolphinton [NB], the terminus of the line from Leadburn. The village of Dolphinton is about two thirds of a mile south.
Border Country Branch Line Album
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Lanarkshire's Lost Railways
Old Carnwath: Including Braehead, Dolphinton, Dunsyre, Elsrickle, Kaimend, Libberton, Newbigging and Walston