Newbigging [Lanarkshire] (1867-1945)
Opened on the Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a single platform station south of the village of Newbigging. The platform was on the north (village) side of the single platform with a goods yard to the north, approached from the west. To the east of the station the line crossed over A721, the platform close to the bridge. The station building was small. To the north, at the road entry to the station yard, were two joined railway cottages.
The line closed to passengers in 1945 and completely in 1950.
Today the cottages remain and the trackbed can be walked in either direction. The road bridge has been removed.
Todholes Siding was about two miles to the east.
Other railway and industry locations
Pettinain Signal Box
Carstairs East Junction
Carstairs South Junction
Leggatfoot Signal Box
Carstairs No 1 Signal Box
Biggar Gas Works Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Border Country Branch Line Album
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Lanarkshire's Lost Railways
Old Carnwath: Including Braehead, Dolphinton, Dunsyre, Elsrickle, Kaimend, Libberton, Newbigging and Walston