Carstairs Shed (1849-1970)
Opened on the Caledonian Railway.
This shed was located to the north of the West-East chord of the Carstairs triangular junction. It was immediately north and east of Carstairs station. Approach was from west and east.
This was the location of the emergency Control Office in the Second World War.
British Railways assigned the code 64D and later 66E.
It closed to steam in 1966, then re-opened and then remained in use as a diesel depot, and later as a stabling point after the building was demolished. Sidings remain, approached from the west.
Other railway and industry locations
Carstairs East Junction
Carstairs South Junction
Carstairs No 1 Signal Box
Carstairs Sand Pit Signal Box
Silvermuir East Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian