Cot Castle Goods (1864-1965)
Opened on the Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway).
This goods station was the terminus of a branch from Stonehouse Junction. It was to the east of the ruins of Cot Castle [Castle]. The station was simple, terminating in a pair of long sidings (probably a loop), with a short siding on the south side by the access road.
After 1905 the Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway) opened. A second line was laid north of the existing track between Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] and Cot Castle. The passenger station was enlarged, becoming no longer a passenger terminus but a through station on two routes - one to Strathaven Central and the other to Coalburn via Lesmahagow [2nd].
The railway running out from the station to Cot Castle was really two parallel single track lines, one to the goods yard and the other to Strathaven.
A planned double track curve for trains from the Strathaven Central direction to Lesmahagow [2nd] was largely built, but not completed. OS maps show one of the two lines, the eastbound, being connected to the Cots Castle line, the other not connected. Neither is connected to anything at the east end. The curve was lifted. Surprisingly ballast survived here until the 2000s.
The line from Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] to Cots Castle was later singled, the southern of the two lines (the original) being lifted. Cot Castle siding was still served, presumably from a ground frame at Cot Castle itself.
The site of the depot is cleared and has been a caravan park.
Other railway and industry locations
Stonehouse South Junction
Stonehouse West Junction
Stonehouse East Junction
Cander Water Viaduct
Strathaven Viaduct [North]
Overwood Quarry Siding
Canderside Colliery Nos 6 and 7
Cot Castle [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|