This is a single lead junction, opened in 2005, west of Maryhill station located about mid way over the Maryhill Viaduct [GDH], with the single line to Anniesland crossing over to the parallel Maryhill Viaduct [SR] at the west end of the viaducts.
The junction was for a long single track siding which terminated on the east side of Anniesland station in a new bay. Trains to Glasgow Queen Street High Level via Maryhill were diverted onto this line. (This was to free paths through Knightswood North Junction, where the Maryhill service formerly reversed, which were needed for the new Milngavie to Larkhall service.
This siding was built on the disused trackbed of the double track Knightswood South Junction to Maryhill Park Junction [1st] curve of the 1874 Stobcross Railway. This curve closed in 1980.
In 2016 the siding became a through route when a new connection was put in between the original Knightswood South Junction, north of Anniesland station, and a new Dawsholm Junction on the Anniesland - Maryhill siding.
The connection was put in when Glasgow Queen Street High Level was closed for electrification, trains being diverted to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level and running round the loop (teardrop shaped) from Cowlairs to Queen Street view either Maryhill or Springburn.
Hyndland Power Box
| Maryhill Viaduct [GDH]|
Maryhill Viaduct [SR]
Maryhill Park Junction [1st]
Dawsholm Gas Works
Maryhill Tram Depot
Garscube Chemical Works
Glasgow Portland Cement Works
Gasworks Engine Shed
Dawsholm Signal Box
Dalsholm Paper Mills
Dawsholm Castle Chemical Works
Garscube Colliery [Dawsholm]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
Glasgow Railway Memories
Glasgow's Last Days of Steam
Rails Around Glasgow
The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)