Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
This is a double track seven arch viaduct over the River Kelvin built for the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway. During construction, in 1857, five arches collapsed (the viaduct may have originally had nine arches). Alternative names are the Dawsholm Viaduct (which can be confused with the Dawsholm Viaduct a Dawsholm) and Kelvin Viaduct (could be confused with the Kelvin Viaduct by Partick).
Maryhill [NB] was at the east end of the viaduct. The line was originally single track, doubled soon after opening in 1858.
In 1874 a second viaduct was built alongside directly to the south for the Stobcross Railway (Maryhill Viaduct [SR]). A junction (Maryhill Park Junction [1st]) was formed between the two lines immediately east of the viaducts and west of Maryhill [NB] station. The viaducts directly butted up against each other providing essentially a four track viaduct.
The southern viaduct is largely out of use, the northern carrying the Helensburgh line and, at its west end, the reinstated Maryhill Park Junction to Anniesland chord.
| Maryhill Viaduct [SR]|
Maryhill Park Junction
Maryhill Park Junction [1st]
Maryhill Tram Depot
Dalsholm Paper Mills Bridge
Dawsholm Gas Works
Garscube Chemical Works
Dalsholm Paper Mills
Glasgow Portland Cement Works
Gasworks Engine Shed
Dawsholm Signal Box
Skaethorn Road Bridge
Dawsholm Viaduct [Gas Works]
Dawsholm Castle Chemical Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
Glasgow Railway Memories
Glasgow's Last Days of Steam
Rails Around Glasgow
The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)