Stobcross Goods Low Level

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

Stobcross Goods Low Level (1874-1969)

Opened on the Glasgow Central Railway.

Opened on the Stobcross Railway.


Description

This goods depot was located next to the Queens Dock on the north side of Pointhouse Road. By reversal a set of holding sidings could be reached to the west. Sidings serving the quaysides were south of the road.

The original double track approach line dropped down from Kelvinhaugh Junction. The yard was located at what is now the westbound platform of Exhibition Centre.

The goods was jointly owned between the North British Railway and Caledonian Railway although the original approach, the (Stobcross Railway), was North British owned.

The Caledonian Railway had running powers from Sighthill East Junction over the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway), a short length of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway, the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway and the Stobcross Railway to reach the goods yard.

The running powers allowed the Caledonian Railway to develop their goods yard at Partickhill Goods [CR].

Following the opening of the Glasgow Central Railway the Caledonian Railway gained their own access to the goods yard from alongside Stobcross station. The connection passed under Pointhouse Road and Minerva Street.

The original approach from Kelvinhaugh Junction became joint North British Railway and Caledonian Railway.

The Glasgow Central Railway closed in 1964 and the original approach survived until 1969.

In 1979 the Glasgow Central Railway to the east re-opened as the [[Argyle Line] and a single track opened up to what was Kelvinhaugh Junction and is now Finnieston East Junction. Pointhouse Road is now the Clydeside Expressway.


Tags

Goods sidings joint

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map