This is a junction between the low level Glasgow Queen Street and the low level Glasgow Central line. It was formed in 1979 on the opening of the Argyle Line. It forms part of a flying junction. It more or less equates to the location of the earlier Kelvinhaugh Junction.
The Queen Street line is the original, the 1874 Stobcross Railway. This double track line is met by a single line, the westbound line, of the route via Glasgow Central Low Level. This makes use of the formerly double track line incline between Kelvinhaugh Junction and Stobcross which served the Queens Dock. This closed in 1969 and reopened as a single track line in 1979. The incline was joint North British Railway and Caledonian Railway, the Caley having running powers here via Maryhill, Cowlairs and Sighthill before opening their own line to Stobcross (and the Queens Dock, the Glasgow Central Railway.
Merkland Street [Subway]
Kinning Park [Subway]
| Stobcross Shed|
Kelvinhaugh Signal Box
Kelvinhaugh Refuse Despatch Works
Stobcross Low Level Ground Frame
St Vincent Crescent Signal Box
St Vincent Crescent Tunnel
Govan Graving Docks
Stobcross Depot Tunnel
Scottish Event Campus
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|15/03/1886||Glasgow City and District Railway|
Yorkhill (Finnieston East Junction) to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to High Street (College East Junction) opened. A third rail was used for train lighting.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways