This gas works was enclosed between the Forth and Clyde Canal, to the south, Stobcross Railway, to the west, and the River Kelvin, to the east. Also known as Gas Works No 2, Glasgow Corporation.
The works was served by sidings from the Stobcross Railway which led to exchange sidings used by reversal, a connection to the Glasgow Central Railway over the River Kelvin and under the canal, and by a rail served quayside on the canal (this crossed Skaethorn Road by a plate girder bridge). There was a single road locomotive shed by the Stobcross Railway.
A tunnel connected the works to the Temple Gas Works. This passed under the canal. (Dawsholm-Temple Gas Works Tunnel)
The southern part of the works was abandoned first and a large travelling gantry crane erected at the west end of the northern building.
Most of the site is now housing. The boundary walls of the site and some office buildings remained intact until the late 1980s.
The site of the exchange sidings alongside the Stobcross Railway is now part of the Kelvindale station site.
Hyndland Power Box
| Gasworks Engine Shed|
Skaethorn Road Bridge
Dawsholm Signal Box
Maryhill Park Junction
Maryhill Viaduct [SR]
Glasgow Portland Cement Works
Maryhill Viaduct [GDH]
Dawsholm Viaduct [Gas Works]
Dawsholm Castle Chemical Works
Dawsholm-Temple Gas Works Tunnel
Garscube Chemical Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1872||Stobcross Railway|
Dawsholm Gas Works opened alongside the Stobcross Railway which is under construction.
|/ /1891||Glasgow Corporation|
Buy Temple Gasworks and link them to Dawsholm Gas Works with a tunnel and the Forth and Clyde Canal.
|01/09/1896||Glasgow Central Railway|
Line from Kelvindale Paperworks to Dawsholm Gas Works siding opened.