This gas works was opened by the Partick, Hillhead and Maryhill Gas Company. Glasgow Corporation bought the works in 1891, naming it Gasworks No 4.
The works was provided with coal by rail. The first siding was from Knightswood South Junction and approached the works from the west. A second, and private line, opened after the works came into joint ownership with the Dawsholm Gas Works approached through a low tunnel from the east from the east. The third was a branch of the Glasgow Central Railway and appoached through tunnel and cutting from the east. The three were connected within the works.
The gas works no longer produces gas but it noteworthy for its two large gasholders.
Hyndland Power Box
| Ironstone Pit|
Temple Iron Works
Knightswood South Junction
Maryhill West Signal Box
Govan Cottage Coal Pit
Kelvinside Brick Works
Barr and Stroud Works
Dawsholm Castle Chemical Works
Dawsholm Signal Box
Gasworks Engine Shed
Glasgow Portland Cement Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways