This line is open. It was a freight only route for many years and was recently re-opened to passengers. New stations were constructed at similar locations to the original ones. Known as the 'R and C'.
|20/09/1865||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Rutherglen to Coatbridge opened to goods.
|01/08/1866||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Rutherglen to Coatbridge opened to passengers
|10/12/1872||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway|
Two road shed at Baillieston opened in connection with Bredisholm and Baillieston pits. Sub-shed of Polmadie.
|/ /1880||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Lock Street Viaduct built over the Monkland Canal to extend the line from Coatbridge to Airdrie
|19/04/1886||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Airdrie branch (Caledonian Railway) opened for goods
|19/04/1886||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway|
Wooden shed with two roads, 42ft turntable and coal stage opened by Airdrie station. A sub-shed of Dawsholm.
|01/06/1886||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Airdrie branch (Caledonian Railway) opened for passengers
|05/10/1897||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway|
Airdrie shed expanded
|21/11/1899||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway|
Airdrie shed burns down
|01/05/1900||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway|
New Airdrie shed planned
|/11/1900||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway|
New, larger, 3 road Airdrie shed opened.
|/07/1935||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway|
Baillieston shed closed as local collieries close.
|/05/1936||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway|
Baillieston shed demolished.
|11/09/1939||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway|
Airdrie shed closed. Part of the coaling stage moved to Yoker shed.
|03/05/1943||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Airdrie (Caledonian) to Whifflet Upper closed to Passengers
|06/07/1964||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Airdrie East to Calder (Imperial Tube works) closed to freight
|05/10/1964||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Whifflet Upper to Langloan West Junction closed to passengers
|07/01/1966||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Coatbridge to Rutherglen closed to passengers
|07/11/1966||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Coatbridge Central to Rutherglen Junction closed to passengers
|01/05/1972||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledoniand Railway)|
Coatbridge Central to Rutherglen Junction re-opened for Glasgow Central to Perth workings
|04/05/1974||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledoniand Railway)|
Coatbridge Central to Rutherglen Junction ceases to be used for Glasgow Central to Perth workings.
|04/10/1993||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Local passenger service established between Glasgow (Rutherglen Junction) and Whifflet. Trains interconnect with services to Motherwell and Coatbridge. Heritage Diesel Multiple Units in use.
These locations are along the line.
This signal box was just to the east of Clydebridge Viaduct on the south side of the line. It controlled the point of entry into the Clyde Iron Works (dating from 1786) from the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (the 1868 (Lanarkshire and Midlothian Branches railway number 8 - Clyde Iron Works).. This replaced earlier connections to the Clydesdale Junction Railway. (The west curve ...More details
These boxes served the Clyde Iron Works from 1897. Clyde Iron Works Signal Box [1st] was replaced in 1897 when a second entry to the works opened. A curve, also approached from the east, connected with a works line which had served a coal pit close to the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway. The new box was mid way between the two access points and, once again, on the south side of the ...More details
This is a two platform station which was opened in 1993 on the site of a former station.
This was a double junction. The existing 1865 Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway was met by the 1896/7 Glasgow Central Railway which used the original line for a very short distance between its two portions. The Carmyle goods yard was modified to lead off the Glasgow Central Low Level route. The signal box (which replaced the old Carmyle box) was on the south side of the line ...More details
This is a two platform station. It re-opened with the re-opening of the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway to local trains in 1993.
This is a two platform station. The station opened with the re-opening of the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway to a local train service in 1993.
This signal box was on the north side of the line opposite the junction for the Calderbank Colliery Pit No 1. The branch was accessed from the east and ran south through Calderbank Colliery Tunnel.
The original station was further east than today's Baillieston station. It was a two platform station with the main station building on the eastbound platform (closer to the village, as it then was, of Baillieston which was to the north). There was a waiting room on the westbound platform. The east end of the eastbound platform had a water tank for locomotives.
This junction was located between Bailieston (to the west) and Bargeddie. A mineral and goods line ran south east from the main line (running east-west). There were loops on the branch directly east of the junction and some exchange sidings in the 'V' of the junction. These both made trailing connections. The branch was single track and main line double track.
This is a viaduct, near Bargeddie station, crossing the new M8 alignment. Built at the site of Tannochside junction, for the Tannochside Branch. Not to be confused with the more famous Braehead near Renfrew. ...More details
This is the 'Cutty Sark Bridge' (named for a long term advert on the bridge) over the A8 at the point where is became the M8 heading west. ...More details
This is a two platform station to the west of Langmuir Road. The station opened in 1993 on the site of the earlier Drumpark station. Both stations are and were minimal.
This junction was the west end of a connecting curve which linked the 1865 Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway to the Drumpellier Railway, a private line which linked the Monkland Canal to coal mines around Drumpellier and Bredisholme. It met the private line at Bredisholm Colliery Junction.
This is a two platform station dating from 1993 when the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway re-opened to local trains.
This junction is in Coatbridge. It is one of three junctions forming a triangular junction. To the north east is Coatbridge Junction, just south of Coatbridge Central. This junction allows trains from the north to approach Glasgow via Rutherglen. To the south east is Whifflet North Junction, just north of Whifflet station. This junction allows the same approach for trains from ...More details
This was the junction between the 1886 Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the 1865 Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway. The Airdrie line extended the existing railway east to Airdrie [CR] and was approached from the east. This was a double track junction. The signal box was on the south side of the line.
This is the junction between the 1845 Whifflet Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway) and the 1865 Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway. The junction allows a train from the Glasgow direction to enter Whifflet station and continue south towards Mossend Marshalling Yard.
This is the junction between the Whifflet Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway) of 1845 and the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway of 1865. The junction gave access from the north to the Rutherglen route. Whifflet North Junction provides access from the south, completing a triangular junction with Langloan Junction to the west.