Carron Iron Works (1759-1963)
Served by the Carron Company.
This iron works was established in 1759. The works was able to produce iron from raw materials (notably using coke) and produce products such as cannons. Indeed the works was famous for its product the Carronade which was a form of cannon used until the 1850s. (At the entrance tower is a small display of cannon balls and cannons.)
The works diversified, making ovens, and ranges, and was modernised and rebuilt on a number of occasions, notably in the 1890s.
The blast furnaces closed in 1963 but manufacturing continued at the site, and despite bankruptcy in the 1980s, some manufacturing continues.
The Carron Company line ran here from Carron Company Basin to the south on the Forth and Clyde Canal and continued north to reach coal pits.
A disused viaduct (1860 'B' listed), which carried this line, crosses the River Carron just south of the works.
Falkirk Camelon [1st]
Bonnybridge Canal Goods
Other railway and industry locations
Carron Iron Works
Stenhouse Road Signal Box
Carron Iron Works [Expansion]
Carronhall Colliery Pit No 6
Falkirk Aluminium Works
Castlelaurie Iron Works
Forganhall Galvanising Works
Carronhall Colliery Pit No 5
Sunnyside Iron Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|26/12/1760||Carron Iron Works|
Carron Iron Works opens. Managed by Dr Roebuck. Shareholders in the Carron Company were; Dr Roebuck, Thomas Roebuck, Ebenezer Roebuck, William Cadell Senior and Junior of Cockenzie (who owned pits at Tranent), John Cadell and Samuel Garbett. The works may even have been in blast in January.
|/ /1779||Tranent Waggonway|
Taken over by John Cadell of the Carron Iron Works.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Larbert and Stenhousemuir
Old Larbert and Stenhousemuir
Where Iron Runs Like Water: A New History of the Carron Iron Works, 1759-1982