Dykehead Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Dykehead Junction (1835-1952)

Opened on the Ballochney Railway.


This was the junction between the Ballochney Railway of 1828 and the Dykehead Junction of 1835. The original line was double track and branch single.

A signal box opened here in 1888. It was on the north side of the original line and a little way east of the junction, also controlling Ballochney Junction (or Airdriehill Junction) which was to the east.

The box closed in 1931, the year after withdrawal of passenger trains. Ballochney Junction also closed in the 1930s with the closure of the Stanrigg Oil Works and Ballochney Colliery line (the original railway).

The Dykehead line closed in 1952. The remaining line from near Kipps to near Arbuckle closed in 1956.

The formation of the junction remains although there has been much opencast mining in the area.



Chronology Dates

  /  /1835Dykehead Branch (Ballochney Railway)
Craigmaukin (Dykehead Junction) to Dykehead Colliery Pit No 1 opened.
  /06/1843Ballochney Railway
Dykehead Junction to Darngarvil Colliery Sidings branch sanctioned by government.
01/09/1949North Monkland Railway Dykehead Branch Extension (Monkland Railways) Dykehead Branch (Ballochney Railway) Ballochney Railway
Dykehead branch closed. Closed from Greengairs Siding to Dykehead Junction.
01/09/1949Ballochney Railway Slamannan Railway
Slamannan to Ballochney Junction to Dykehead Junction to Rawyards (excluded) closed to freight and completely. Additionally Ballochney Colliery to Ballochney Junction closed.