Locomotive Sheds Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Locomotive Sheds Junction

Opened on the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway.

Description

This junction was formed between the 1831 Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway and a connection to the 1849 Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway) at Sighthill East Junction. The connecting line had several uses:
- St Rollox Goods East and St Rollox Top Yard were on its west side close to Sighthill East Junction and accessed from the connecting line
- the St Rollox Works was built on the west side of its long oblique, the connecting line providing the works approach
- the St Rollox Works Shed was built on the east side of it, the connecting line being the shed's western approach
- a train from St Rollox Goods West or St Rollox Depot could leave the goods lines and join the passengers lines going east from Glasgow (and vice versa)

A signal box was opened here on the north side of the junction and within the southernmost sidings approaching the St Rollox Works. The box closed in 1931, the lines and yards remaining open.

The site is currently within the St Rollox Works. This is where the lines approaching the remaining part of the larger northern portion of the works divide from the sidings to the smaller southern sheds.

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map