Inchbelly Works (1835-1855)
Opened on the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway.
This locomotive shed and works was opened by the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway to replace a small shed and works at Glebe Street Works. The name is contrived, it was probably just known as the Glasgow shed and works of the Garnkirk company.
The works was located to the north of the line and on the east side of Castle Street/Springburn Road which crossed the railway by Inchbelly Level Crossing (although the line was later placed on a bridge with the road in a cutting below the original LC remained open.).
On the opening of the Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway) a link was put in from what was later Sighthill East Junction to give locomotives from the terminus access to this shed without having to run out to Milton Junction [Glasgow].
The works was replaced by the St Rollox Works to the north. It continued to exist until the major rebuilding of that works in the 1880s.
St Rollox [2nd]
St Rollox [1st]
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Buchanan Street [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
Castle Street Coal Depot
Inchbelly Level Crossing
St Rollox Works
St Rollox Chemical Works
Glasgow Corporation Cleansing Works Sidings
Locomotive Sheds Junction
Glebe Street Works
St Rollox Goods West
Sighthill West Junction [1st]
St Rollox Works Paint Shop
Buchanan Street Tunnel East Signal Box
St Rollox Goods East
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|