Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Whifflet Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway).
This two platform station was just north of Whifflet North Junction on the Whifflet Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway).
It was replaced with a station further north at Whifflet Low Level in 1886 with the opening of the Airdrie [CR] extension of the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway) which passed overhead. The new station as an interchange with Whifflet High Level on the new line above. The low level station was to close in 1962.
In 1993 a new Whifflet station was opened, very slightly to the north of this old station.
To the north was the Whifflet Level Crossing where the Whifflet Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway) crossed the Rosehall Railway, a line associated with the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway which served the Rosehall Colliery to the south.
confusing possibly nb had station of same name
need to read more
Calder Iron Works [Station]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
| Whifflet South Junction|
Whifflet East Junction
Whifflet Central Junction
Whifflat Junction [Rosehall Junction]
Whifflet North Junction
Whifflet East Goods
Coatbank Engine Works
Calder Tube Works
Lochrin Iron Works
Rosehall Siding Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|