Carluke [1st] (1845-1848)
Stirling Road (1848-1853)
Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This station was on the west side of Stirling Road. The station may only have ever been called Carluke (or Carluke and Lanark), whether it remained open or re-opened after 1848 (the opening of the Caledonian Railway which actually reached Carluke) is in doubt. The Caledonian Railway, having subsumed the Wishaw and Coltness Railway called the goods station here Stirling Road.
The line was brought here to serve the Coltness Iron Works, served, approached by a line from the east side of Stirling Road. The station served this and, with a coach connection, Lanark and beyond.
The station seems to have had several sidings, approached from the south west. The OS map for 1860 labels it Stirling Road. Two buildings existed on the east side of the line.
Nothing remains to be seen today. The line was open until recent years to serve Costain Concrete and the Watsonhead Loading Pad but has been closed and lifted.
The Coltness Iron Works had a coal pit Gillhead Colliery just to the west, served by a private mineral line, the network of lines varying over the years of operation.
Just to the north was Stirling Road Junction where the branch to the Coltness Iron Works left the line to Morningside [1st].
To the south was Morningside Incline.
Other railway and industry locations
Stirling Road Junction
Chapel Colliery Junction
Brick and tile works
Watsonhead Loading Pad
Allanton Iron Foundry
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)