This junction is closed. It was formed between the Wishaw and Coltness Railway and the line to the Coltness Iron Works. Serving this works was one of the main reasons for the building the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
This was a single track junction on the east side of Stirling Road. The iron works line turned north and the main line continued north east to Morningside [1st].
Stirling Road station was on the west side of the road bridge, south of the junction. The signal box for the junction was located here, by the bridge, on the west side of the line.
The line to Morningside [1st] double north of the junction with a mineral line for the Chapel Colliery on the east side.
The iron works line entered an exchange yard with weighing machines at the south end.
The signal box closed in 1935 (as did the box at Morningside Incline Signal Box). One Engine in Steam operation was now in force.
The iron works closed in 1970, however the Coltness Cement Works (Costain) remained open and was rail served. Concrete sleepers were manufactured here.
In 1974 the Morningside route, which by now only continued east to Kingshill Colliery No 1, closed.
The cement works ceased operation around 2000.
In 2000 a new siding for opencast coal traffic was laid in from the junction to Watsonhead Loading Pad.
The line was closed around 2015.
| Gillhead Colliery|
Chapel Colliery Junction
Brick and tile works
Watsonhead Loading Pad
Allanton Iron Foundry
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)