Carluke

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Carluke (1848-)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.

Open on the Glasgow to Lanark.


Description

This is a two platform station station with two excellent survivors; a fine goods shed (no longer in railway use) and a distinctive station building. It is in the west of Carluke.

Although the original station was somewhat smaller, it had roughly the same layout with a goods yard on the east side, approached from the south. This had served a small sawmill by turnplates. the main station building was on the northbound platform.

Station buildings, longer platforms and an enlarged goods yard were added by 1900. The saw mill was closed by 1910.

The present main station building, on the southbound (town side) platform, was built around 1905 (OS maps show it perhaps being later), replacing two earlier buildings.

In recent years the goods yard has closed but the large goods shed remains. On the west side a large station carpark has been added.

The station replaced Carluke [1st] which was some considerable distance away on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map