Law Junction

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Law Junction (1880-1965)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.

Opened on the Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway).


Description

This was a four platform station which opened with the Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway).

The station was just east of Garriongill Junction where the Caledonian Railway joined the Wishaw and Coltness Railway on its approach to Glasgow.

Law became a junction with the opening of a short mineral line to Shawfield Colliery, to the south west, in 1867. This replaced an older alignment which travelled at almost 90 degrees to the main line to reach Lawmuir.

The Wishaw Deviation was a double track line which met the existing double track mainline immediately west of the station.

The station consisted of two island platforms with the main lines running between the islands. There were buildings with canopies on both platforms and a long footbridge approached the platforms from the south side, alongside a station building.

A large group of sidings were laid out to the east of the station. On the north side of these was a small goods yard with shed and loading bank. Between this and the running lines were several dead end sidings, approached from the east. To the south of the running lines was an 8 road carriage shed and several sidings, all approached from the west.

The colliery line was still accommodated skirted the south side, with exchange sidings at the west end. The colliery had closed before the Second World War.

With the closure of the station there was some re-alignment and many sidings were lifted. A freight depot was laid out on the site of the carriage sidings, but this has closed. Little remains of the station other than a few station cottages.


Tags

Station junction

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map