This tunnel was in the Carnbroe Estate and was opened out in 1855. It was on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway between, using modern references, the M8 (to the north) and Mossend Marshalling Yard (to the south). The tunnel may have been twin bore. Known as either Holytown or Carnbroe Tunnel.
The opening out of the tunnel was included in the act for the Caledonian Railway. The tunnel was opened out by contractor Alexander Wilson who later took the Caledonian Railway to court as the excavated ground turned out not to be earth but rock.
The Ordnance Survey Name Book refers to it thus
The Tunnel near this, of the Wishaw & Coltness Section of the Caledonian Railway, is being cut through for the purpose of doing away with it. It has been worked for that purpose for 2 years & it is probable that the same will be taken before it is completed. The Tunnel was condemmed as dangerous.
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Carnbroe Signal Box [CR]|
Rise Pit (Coal)
Carnbroe Slag Crushing Works
Thankerton No 1 Colliery
Engine Pit (Coal)
New Pit (Coal)
North Rosehall Junction
Mossend Marshalling Yard
Carnbroe Iron Works Signal Box
Carnbroe North Signal Box
Mossend Concrete Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|25/01/1834||Wishaw and Coltness Railway|
First portion of line opened from Whifflet to Holytown [1st] for minerals. (This portion included the Holytown Tunnel south of Carnbroe.)
|/ /1854||Wishaw and Coltness Railway|
Authorisation to open out the Holytown Tunnel. (Associated with other improvements such as the Motherwell Deviation (Caledonian Railway) authorised in the same year.)
|/ /1855||Wishaw and Coltness Railway|
Holytown Tunnel opened out.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)