Calderbank Steel Works

Location type

Works

Names and dates

Calderbank Iron Works (1835-1887)
Calderbank Steel Works (1890-1930)

Served by the Calderbank Iron Company.

Description

This iron works was located to the south east of Whifflet, close to the end of the Monkland Canal (1794), the Legbrannock Railway (and its successors) and the Calderbank branch of the Monkland Railways (1855).

This was a malleable iron works making rails and plates.

It closed in 1887 and reopened as a purpose built steel works. Plate from the works was used for the RMS Queen Mary. Closure came in 1930 during a restructuring.

Tags

Iron works steel works

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67