|/ /1930||Clyde Iron Works|
Taken over by Colvilles Ltd.
|01/01/1931||David Colville & Sons
James Dunlop & Co
Merger of David Colville & Sons and James Dunlop & Co forms Colvilles Ltd.
Mossend Steel Works bought from William Beardmore & Co Ltd.
|/01/1936||Steel Company of Scotland
The Steel Company of Scotland is merged with Colvilles Ltd.
|/ /1937||Colvilles Ltd|
Re-structuring begins which will ultimately lead to the construction of the Ravenscraig Steel Works.
|/ /1953||William Dixon Ltd|
Purchased by Colvilles Ltd.
|09/07/1954||Ravenscraig Steel Works|
Works opened by Colvilles Ltd at a cost of £20,000,000, with 2 batteries of 35 coke ovens, a blast furnace and melting shop with 3 furnaces. Colvilles Ltd older furnaces were to be demolished.
|/ /1958||Colvilles Ltd|
Govan Iron Works ('Dixon's Blazes') closed.
|/ /1961||Colvilles Ltd|
Ravenscraig Steel Works fully opened.
|/ /1967||Waverley Iron Works|
Closed, after being owned briefly by Colvilles Ltd.
|/ /1967||Colvilles Ltd|
Becomes part of the British Steel Corporation.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
The Dalzell Steel Works was developed alongside the existing Dalzell Malleable Iron Works of 1871, the West Coast Main Line (just south of Motherwell station and close to Motherwell Junction) by David Colville and Sons. The malleable iron works were just to the south and now part of the steel works site.
This reconstruction of William Beardmore & Co^s Mossend Iron and Steelworks was due to the demands of Great War and was in part supported by the Ministry of Munitions. The new works was laid out to the west of the existing works and was on a considerably greater scale. Reconstruction was around 1915.
This steel works was opened by the Lanarkshire Steel Company Ltd in the 1890s and gradually expanded. The site had an open hearth furnace and rolling mills. It was served by two sets of sidings. From the north were sidings coming from the Motherwell New Lines (Caledonian Railway), built around the same time. That line, before its extension north, was essentially a double track headshunt ...More details
This was an integrated steel works in the east of Motherwell. It was built by Colvilles Ltd and opened, not fully complete, in 1954. The works closed in 1992. From its inception to its closure it was mired in politics.