Maryhill [CR] (1896-1952)
Maryhill Central (1952-1964)
Opened on the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway.
Opened on the Glasgow Central Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a four platform station. There were two through platforms and, on either side, two bay platforms for terminating services via Glasgow Central. These bays had carriage sidings alongside. Platforms were canopied. The majority of passenger trains terminated here, however the through lines were for passenger trains to Possil and goods and mineral trains running from Balornock Junction.
There was a large goods yard to the south.
The station site was cleared and is now a shopping centre and car park. Space for a single track line under this was left, a portal at the west end giving access.
To the west was Maryhill Junction.
Other railway and industry locations
Maryhill East Signal Box
Ruchill Iron Works
Glasgow Lead and Colour Works
Maryhill Central Junction
Maryhill Iron Works
MacLellan Glasgow Rubber Works
Kirklee Goods Signal Box
Stockingfield Junction [Canal]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|26/11/1894||Glasgow Central Railway|
Stobcross to Maryhill Central opened. This gave the Caledonian Railway access to the Queens Dock lines.
|26/11/1894||Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway|
Possil Junction (Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway)) to Maryhill Central opened.
|02/11/1959||Glasgow Central Railway|
Maryhill Central to Stobcross (Via Kelvinbridge) closed to passengers.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)