Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway.
This station is closed, however the very fine booking office still stands.
This was a six platform station on a curve. There were two main platforms for through services and a third through platform (on the west side of a loop on the west side) largely serving the nearby Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Works shipyard (relocated here in 1871). In addition, there were three bay platforms for shipyard workers trains on the west side, accessed b rail from the south east. The south end of the station was linked by a footbridge with steps down to platforms. The westernmost island was not served by steps, it was perhaps a two faced loading bank, certainly it was out of use by the 1950s.
The up platform booking office building still exists, converted for housing. This stood on the corner of Clyde Street and Cunard Street. The building was on the main Glasgow bound platform with an acute angle onto a wing running up to Cunard Street before turning 90 degrees to run along Atlas Street. The building has an almost tower at the acute angle, a round window and lunette windows above doors. 'CR' for Caledonian Railway, backers of the line, is curved into the frieze stonework above the doorways and windows and 'Booking office' is carved above its doorway.
There were waiting rooms to the south on the main through platforms, neither of which survive.
There were two signal boxes - number 2 at the north end, west side of the line, and number 1 at the east end, north side of the line. Both boxes opened in 1896. Number 2 controlled the north end of the station and north end of the loop which ran down the west side of the station. Number 1 controlled the approach to the five platforms from the east.
Rothesay Dock is to the south. The Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Works was to the west and was accessed via Clydebank Goods Junction to the north west. The line heading north from the station occupied the route of the former Forth and Cart Canal, a shortcut from the Forth and Clyde Canal to the River Clyde opposite the River Cart, for Paisley.
Both signal boxes closed in 1961. The station closed in 1964 and the line, now single track, closed altogether in 1976.
The platforms and other buildings were cleared by the mid 1980s and the booking office became derelict, although its roof survived.
The booking office has been restored and is now rather stylish housing.
The architects were James Miller (whole line) and John James Burnet (Clydebank Riverside and other buildings).
Singer Workers Platforms
Renfrew Fulbar Street
| Clydebank East Shed|
North British Chemical Works
Clydebank Goods Junction
Clydebank Central Junction
East Barns of Clyde Shipyard
Singer Signal Box
Kilbowie Swing Bridge
Engineering and Shipbuilding Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/05/1896||Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway|
Maryhill Junction to Bellshaugh Junction to Clydebank Riverside and Partick West Junction to Stobcross opened for goods. Kelvinside opened to goods
|15/06/1896||Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway|
Clydebank Riverside to Dumbarton East Junction opened for goods.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)