Clydebank Goods Junction (1896-1933)
Opened on the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway.
This junction was at the east end of Kilbowie station. This station had goods loops on either side of its platform lines. The east end of the loop was controlled by Clydebank Goods Junction signal box on the north side of the line.
Going east from the station sidings to the east were served by the north side loop and Clydebank Goods and Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Works, to the south, were served by the south side loop.
Going west a siding from the northern loop crossed the Kilbowie Swing Bridge to reach the Singer Sewing Machine Factory. Use of the bridge was blocked by North British Railway legal action.
The signal box closed in 1933. With this the east end of the loops were disconnected from the main line but the remaining part of the loops were retained as long sidings from the west end of Kilbowie station to the depots previously served.
The railway closed in 1976.
Singer Workers Platforms
Renfrew Fulbar Street
Other railway and industry locations
Clydebank Central Junction
Kilbowie Swing Bridge
North British Chemical Works
Singer Signal Box
Clydebank East Shed
Dalmuir No 23 Tunnels
Dalmuir No 25 Tunnel
Turners Asbestos Cement Works
Singer Timber Yard
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)