Bellshaugh Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Bellshaugh Junction (1896-1964)

Opened on the Glasgow Central Railway.

Opened on the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway.


This was a four way junction. To the west were the lines to Dawsholm (north west, 1895) and Dumbarton Central (west, 1896). To the east were the lines to Maryhill Central and Balornock Junction (east, 1895) and Glasgow Central (south, 1896). The junction was on a cramped site on the south bank of the River Kelvin, the Dawsholm fork crossing the river immediately north west of the junction.

The junction was the western apex of a triangle formed with Maryhill Junction to the east (crossing the River Kelvin to reach the junction) and Kirklee Junction to the south.

All lines were double track. A signal box opened at the junction in 1896, on the south side of the junction.

There was a large yard on either side of the line, just east of the junction. This had 5 looped sidings to north, accessed from west (from Dawsholm only) (originally also accessed from east from Kirklee Goods Junction) and two looped sidings to south, access from both ends.

There was also goods yard within the triangle, Kirklee Goods, accessed from Bellshaugh Junction.

The line south to Kirklee closed in 1960. The branch north west to Dawsholm and Dawsholm Shed closed in 1964. With this the site ceased to be a junction, however the signal box remained open.

The remaining line, from west to east, closed in 1966.

The site is largely housing today. The western meeting of lines is landscaped.