Possil North (1954-1964)
Opened on the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway.
This station is closed but the street level station building and the former goods shed both remain standing. The station building, in red brick, presents a single storey, with two gable ends and attic onto Balmore Road. C and R are on tablets above windows on the south end of the frontage and a coat of arms above the north end. This building, which survived in other uses for many years, is abandoned and in increasingly poor condition. It deserves preservation. The building is 'C' listed and the architect is thought to have been Robert Wemyss. The goods shed still stands, also an unusual survivor.
The station had two through platforms and a bay platform. In addition to the street level building there was a fine octagonal waiting room on the westbound platform (sadly long gone).
It operated as a terminus for passenger trains but goods and minerals passed through between the east end of Glasgow and docks and shipyards on the north bank of the River Clyde to the west.
There was a goods yard, with goods shed, on the south side of the line. Both the bay platform and the goods yard were approached from the west.
The signal box, opened 1895, was at the west end of the station, at the station throat. It was on the south side of the line.
The station was opened before any housing had developed in the area and closed in 1909. It reopened in 1934 when the area was developed.
Going west from the station there was a branch to the north, serving the Lambhill Iron Works. This branch was approached from the east, alongside the signal box. The branch had a loop close to the junction.
The station closed to passengers in 1964 and the railway closed in 1966, the box surviving to the end.
Traces of the platforms remained in the 1980s and may still remain, but buried. The platform level building and the staircases to the platforms have not survived.
The line to the west is largely landscaped but to the east the cutting continues largely intact as far as Possil Junction and almost as far as the bridge over the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway at Eastfield TMD.
Before the railway, an ironstone waggonway ran here along a similar course between the Forth and Clyde Canal and Eastfield (Possil and Eastfield Ironstone Pits (Forth and Clyde Canal)).
Possilpark and Parkhouse
St Georges Cross [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
North Western Engineering Works
Possil Old Quarries
Lambhill Iron Works
Lochburn Iron Works
Clydesdale Iron Works [Possil Park]
Lochburn Signal Box
Firhill Timber Basin
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)