Dullator

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Dullator (1876-1967)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station with the main station building on the westbound platform. There were no goods facilities at first, but a small yard was added to the south of the line, west of the station and reached from the west.

Dullator West box opened in 1876 controlling the western approach and also the mineral line to Nethercroy Colliery. This was on the north side of the line, reached by a reversing spur west of the station, approached from the east, and a long line curving north to the colliery. The west box closed with the colliery line in 1939. The box was on the north side of the line.

Two thirds of a mile to the east was Dullator East Signal Box serving the sidings of Dullator Colliery and Dullator Sand Quarry.

Wester and Easter Dullator farms were to the north of the station and the small town of Dullator developed to the south. This has grown in recent years.

The station cottage still stands, to the south of the former station. Nothing remains of the station itself.

Local

To the north of the railway is Dullator Bog. Building across the bog was a challenge for the builders of the Forth and Clyde Canal (to the north) during which artefacts from the Battle of Kilsyth were found.

The railway runs along the southern edge of the bog on slightly raised ground.

To the west of the former station Antonine's Wall runs west to the north of the railway and east of the station the wall is to the south.

08/05/2019

Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map