Ratho

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Ratho (1842-1951)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

This former station gave rise to the curiosity that is Ratho Station, a small village on the edge of Edinburgh with no station. (Akin to Balfron Station or even Stromeferry (no ferry)). Ratho Station, the village, developed to the north of the station.

There were two stations alongside each other, the high level Ratho station with two platforms on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the single platform Ratho Low Level on the South Queensferry Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) just to the north. The junction between these lines was just to the east.

The main station building was on the eastbound platform. There was a goods yard in the 'V' of the junction. Not far west is Newbridge Junction where the Bathgate line separates from the main line.

Unused platforms remain at the former station. The main line remains open and Queensferry branch is closed.


Tags

Station interchange

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map