South Queensferry Branch (North British Railway)

Introduction

This single track line is closed, except for a short section near Dalmeny.




Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This junction was east of Ratho station (on the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and Ratho (Low Level) (on the 1866 South Queensferry Branch (North British Railway)), formed with the branch opened.
...

More details
The closed signal box at Ratho Junction on 14 May 1978. ...
Bill Roberton 14/05/1978

This was a single platform station on the South Queensferry Branch (North British Railway) immediately north of Ratho on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. The junction between the main line and its branch was just to the east at Queensferry Junction.
...

More details
Bridge over the former Queensferry line at Ratho. The vew looks north from the former Low Level station to the High Level on the E&G. ...
John Yellowlees 30/07/2018

To the south of Kirkliston station the line passed over the River Almond. Although built as a double track viaduct it only carried the south end of the loop.
...

More details
Old railway bridge crossing the River Almond approaching Kirkliston, on the former branch between Ratho and Dalmeny. View is north towards the village ...
John Furnevel 13/01/2012
Alongside the River Almond at Kirkliston under a low winter sun in January 2012. View south east, with the village off picture to the left and the ...
John Furnevel 13/01/2012

This was a single platform station. The platform was on the west side of the line and there was a loop on the east side. The goods yard, looped sidings, was on the east side. The signal box was on the west side at the south end of the platform. This opened in 1894, not long after the Forth Bridge route opened.
...

More details
Looking over the remains of the level crossing towards the former Kirkliston station following tracklifting. The station closed to passengers as long ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //

This was a four way junction. The 1868 was crossed by the 1890 Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway) which joined the line from south east and left the older line to the north west of the junction.
...

More details
A view south at Dalmeny South Junction in 2003 with the trackbed of the closed line to Ratho going off to the right. The open line is to Saughton ...
Ewan Crawford 28/12/2003

The original Dalmeny station was south of the current Dalmeny station. It was immediately north of Dalmeny South Junction.
...

More details
View north from the site of Dalmeny's first station. This became a goods yard on the opening of the Forth Bridge, the line to which is seen to the ...
Ewan Crawford 28/12/2003

Looking east along the former South Queensferry branch from The Loan, South Queensferry, on 9 September. OS 1 maps of the 1930s and 40s show a ...
Bill Roberton 09/09/2014

This was a single platform minor station. The timber platform was on the north side of the line. There was a waiting shelter at the west end of the platform and also at the west end the signal for the line to Port Edgar and the goods yard, formerly the terminus of the line, South Queensferry [1st]. There was a siding to the east. This station replaced the terminus. It closed with the ...

More details

This was the terminus of the line from South Queensferry Junction, Ratho. The line was single track and approached the terminus from the east. East of the single platform was a loop. The platform was on the north side of the single line with a small building. The goods yard was on the north side of the line, approached also from the east.
...

More details