Dalmeny South Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Dalmeny South Junction (1890-1968)

Opened on the South Queensferry Branch (North British Railway).
Opened on the Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway).

Description

This was a four way junction. The 1868 was crossed by the 1890 Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway) which joined the line from south east and left the older line to the north west of the junction.

The signal box here closed in 1925 having been taken over by Dalmeny North Junction box, renamed Dalmeny Junction. The box had been located on the west side of the junction, the south end of the former Dalmeny [1st] station. From here the Dalmeny North Junction and South Queensferry [1st] route ran parallel to each other through the former station.

The route south to Ratho (Low Level) closed in 1966 and the line north to South Queensferry [1st] closed in 1968. A short portion of the Ratho route south of the junction was retained until 1976 as a reversing spur for the Royal Navy Victualling Depot Royal Elizabeth Yard.

A short minerals line ran north east to Dalmeny Oil Works.

Tags

Junction


Books


Edinburgh To Inverkeithing.: including The Port Edgar, North Queensferry And Rosyth Dockyard Branches. (Scottish Main Lines.)

Edinburgh To Inverkeithing.: including The Port Edgar, North Queensferry And Rosyth Dockyard Branches. (Scottish Main Lines.)