South Queensferry [1st]

Location type


Name and dates

South Queensferry [1st] (1868-1878)

Opened on the South Queensferry Branch (North British Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


This was the terminus of the line from South Queensferry Junction, Ratho. The line was single track and approached the terminus from the east. East of the single platform was a loop. The platform was on the north side of the single line with a small building. The goods yard was on the north side of the line, approached also from the east.

The station closed in 1878 when the line was extended west to a new station and breakwater at Port Edgar. The connection was east of the old station which left it on a short branch. It became the goods yard. Rail served bonded warehousing was to the east of the yard, approached by reversal from the northernmost siding.

Port Edgar closed to passengers with the opening of the Forth Bridge which replaced the ferry to North Queensferry [1st].

With the increase in traffic during the Great War, as there was a naval base at Port Edgar, a signal box was opened at the junction, in 1919. It lasted until 1926 when the naval facilities at Port Edgar were being run down.

The railway closed in 1966.

The site is now housing.



Station terminus short lived

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67