Gogar

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Gogar (1842-1930)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

The passenger and goods stations at Gogar were at different locations. Gogar is a rural area right on the western edge of Edinburgh.

The passenger station was on the east side of a road overbridge, and had two platforms, a footbridge and a station house to the north. There was a waiting room on the eastbound platform.

The goods station was to the east, just west of the next overbridge. It was to the south of the line and approached from the west.

The station closed to passengers in 1930 and the box in 1934, replaced with a ground frame for the goods yard.

A loading bank remains at the closed goods station. Nothing remains of the passenger station.

Edinburgh Park opened not far to the east of both.

12/05/2019

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map