Queensferry Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Queensferry Junction (1866-1966)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Opened on the South Queensferry Branch (North British Railway).


Description

This junction was east of Ratho station (on the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and Ratho (Low Level) (on the 1866 South Queensferry Branch (North British Railway)), formed with the branch opened.

The main line was a double track and the branch a single. The signal box was on the north side of the junction. Ratho station's goods yard was in the 'V' of the junction, to its west. The station had its own signal box on the eastbound platform, replaced by a ground frame.

The box was replaced in 1949. The branch closed in 1966. The new box survived until 1978, replaced by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre.

01/06/2019

Tags

Junction