Cowlairs

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Cowlairs (1860-1964)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

This was a station located at the top of the Cowlairs Incline. The station had an island platform. Nearby was the steam engine which hauled the cable bringing trains up the incline from Glasgow Queen Street High Level. A footbridge from the south end of the platform connected to the Cowlairs Works. The platform was originally very narrow and was widened around 1908 (after removal of 'the rope').

To the north of the station, on the west side of the line, was Cowlairs North signal box. The Cowlairs Works were to the west. This box was replaced by Cowlairs Panel Box in 1956.

To the south of the station, on the east side of the line, was Cowlairs Station signal box. This box was replaced by Cowlairs Panel Box in 1956.

An early out of use signal box was retained for many years as it was the oldest in Scotland. It has not survived.

06/05/2019

Tags

Station