Bothlin Viaduct

Location type

Bridge


Name and dates

Bothlin Viaduct (1842-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

This is a double track five arch viaduct which carries the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway over the Bothlin Burn and which also crossed the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. The embankment to the east also crossed a feeder for the Forth and Clyde Canal.

The viaduct is unusual with three conventional arches at the east end and two skewed arches at the west end. The older railway railway passed under the second arch from the west, the trackbed now occupied by the A806 'Initiative Road'. The piers of the arch over the former line are buttressed. The arches are reinforced with rails.

A short lived station, Woodley, was just to the north of the viaduct. A connecting horse operated carriage met with main line trains on the railway above to run to Kirkintilloch Basin.

07/01/2019

Tags

Viaduct