Turkey Yard

Location type


Name and dates

Turkey Yard (1890-1990)

Opened on the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway).


This yard was on the west side of the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway immediately south of Cowlairs West Junction. The yard was immediately east of the Cowlairs Carriage Sidings alongside the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. The yard was a series of parallel dead end sidings accessed from the north.

The yard was established in the late 1890s by the North British Railway.

The yard was named for the United Turkey Red Company whose wagons were often marshalled here. The company was formed by a merger in 1898 and owned a number of works in the Vale of Leven at the Alexandria Works (Printing and dyeing), Cordale Works, Dalquhurn Printworks and Levenfield Works.

By the 1980s the yard was used for storing rolling stock from the nearby carriage sidings and a train washer was at the north end of the site. The sidings were largely lifted in 1989 with the last lifted to allow the Cowlairs Chord (British Railways) to be built in 1992.

The site of the sidings is now Network Rail's signalling centre and main Glasgow maintenance depot.



External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Nearby stations
St Rollox [2nd]
Glasgow (Townhead)
Possilpark and Parkhouse
Possilpark (Private)
Possil North
Buchanan Street
Cowcaddens [Subway]
St Georges Cross [Subway]
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Cowlairs Carriage Sidings
Sighthill West Junction
Cowlairs Mineral Yard
Cowlairs Works
Cowlairs South Junction
Cowlairs Shed
Ironstone Pit
Cowlairs West Junction
Hyde Park Works [2nd]
Cowlairs Panel Box
Atlas Works [2nd]
Cowlairs North Junction
Eastfield TMD
Sighthill East Junction
Cowlairs East Junction
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.

The Blocks

The North British Railway built accommodation for footplate crew on the high ground above Turkey Yard, on its north side (also above the Sighthill Branch and City of Glasgow Union Railway). These were baronial in style, built in heavy stone with crow stepped gables. Demolished in the late 1960s these were replaced with modern council housing.