Roughcastle Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Roughcastle Junction (1892-1976)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Opened on the Rough Castle Branch (North British Railway).


Description

This was the west end of a loop which left the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway to serve works at Rough Castle and Port Downie on the Forth and Clyde Canal before rejoining the line at Falkirk High goods.

The branch was single track. There were exchange sidings by the junction. The signal box was to the north of the junction. To the south, just west of the junction, was the Rough Castle Brick Works and at the start of the branch, on the south side of the line and approached from the junction, were the Rough Castle Guano Works. The line continued to the Rough Castle Tar Works.

The signal box was closed in 1971, taken over by Greenhill Junction box. The branch closed in 1976.

A loading pad for coal was established here on the south side of the line, just east of the junction. The sidings were served from the west. Rough Castle Sidings. This is now closed.

Rough Castle Roman Fort was to the north.

03/06/2019

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map