Castlecary

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Castlecary (1842-1967)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station at the west end of the Castlecary Viaduct. To the north of the station was the Castlecary Fireclay and Lime Works which was rail served from the east.

There was a goods yard at the east end of the station to the south of the line accessed by reversal from the west.

Nothing remains of the station.

The M80 passes under the viaduct to the east of the former station.

The area has much of interest from the Roman occupation. Castlecary Roman Bridge is just to the east of the former station. Castlecary Roman Fort is east of the viaduct and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway runs through the site.

An accident occurred here in 1937 and second accident in 1968.

Local

Antonine Wall - Castlecary Roman Fort

11/06/2018

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map


Nearby stations
Castlecary
Banknock
Dennyloanhead
Upper Greenhill
Bonnybridge Junction
Greenhill Lower
Greenhill
Bonnybridge Canal Goods
Dullator
Bonnybridge Central
Bonnybridge
Cumbernauld
Colzium
Denny
Greenfaulds

Other railway and industry locations
Fireclay and Limeworks
Castlecary Curve
Castlecary? Tunnel
Brickworks
Coneypark Colliery Pit No 4
Cannerton Brickworks
Banknock Colliery Livingstone Pit
Banknock Colliery Cannerton Pit
Quarry
Auchincloch
Knowehead Colliery
Quarry
New Bonnyrigg Pit
Tourist/other
Castlecary Roman Fort
Bankier Distillery
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.