Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway

Introduction

This main line railway is open. The line runs from Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Queen Street High Level and carries both express services between those locations and local trains.

Why built

The line was built as an intercity route between Edinburgh and Glasgow to carry passengers and goods.

When first opened the fastest trains, carrying mail, took an hour and a half. Those stopping at the ten stations, and two termini, took two hours.

Service

ScotRail runs a regular passenger service runs between Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Queen Street High Level.



Dates

  /  /1838[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1840Nethercroy Colliery
In operation above Auchinstarry on Croy Hill, later operated by the [Carron Ironworks] and they built a railway round the east side of the Croy hill to the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway].
  /  /1840Dunmore, Polmaise, Plean, Bannockburn Quarries
Opened after the [Scottish Central Railway] and [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway] opened.
  /  /1841[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Cowlairs Works opens.
18/02/1842[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Queen Street Station, Glasgow, opened (originally called Dundas Street) (Date also given as the 21rst)
21/02/1842[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Service starts between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Haymarket
  /  /1844[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Banking engines tried on the Cowlairs incline between Glasgow Queen Street at Cowlairs. Rope haulage was used to assist locomotives pulling trains up this incline. The rope was dropped at the top of the incline. Brake vans were used going down into Queen Street.
26/12/1844[Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway]
New Kirkintilloch station opened to exchange with [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway] station of same name by the Bothlin viaduct.
26/12/1844Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway's Horse-drawn service between Kirkintilloch Basin station and new Kirkintilloch station commences.
  /  /1846[Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
  /  /1846[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Edinburgh General Station (Waverley) opened further east from Haymarket the former terminus
01/08/1846[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Line extended from Haymarket to meet the [North British Railway] at North Bridge station.
  /  /1847[Edinburgh Station and Branches] ([Caledonian Railway])
Slateford to Haymarket ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]) Act passed
  /  /1848[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Villas start being built by Lenzie station
  /  /1848[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Give up using banking engines on the Cowlairs incline.
05/07/1848[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Campsie Branch opened from Lenzie (called Campsie Junction) to Lennoxtown. Stations at; Campsie Junction, Kirkintilloch, Milton of Campsie, Lennoxtown.
  /  /1849[Wilsontown Morningside and Coltness Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
  /  /1850[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Some villas built by Bishopbriggs station
  /  /1853[Edinburgh Station and Branches] ([Caledonian Railway])
Slateford to a bay platform by the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]s Haymarket station opened. Trains could run from the bay to Carstairs or Falkirk.
28/05/1858Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway
Opened as single track from Cowlairs Junction to Bowling and Dalreoch Junction to Helensburgh. Due to a disagreement over station access charges between the company and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway the first trains ran to Buchanan Street using the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and a connection at St Rollox with the Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway) line. The disagreement was resolved a month later.
  /  /1860[Grangemouth Railway] ([Forth and Clyde Canal] Company)
Line opened to goods. Worked by the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway].
  /  /1860William Baird & Company
[Forth and Clyde Canal]
Open mines at Twechar, railway swing bridge laid across [Forth and Clyde Canal] near Twechar for line which ran from Kilsyth to Waterside on the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway].
  /  /1860Gartshore Pits 9 and 11
Sunk by William Baird and Company to the south of the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
14/08/1862[Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
  /  /1864[Alva Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Alva Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
31/07/1865[Monkland Railways]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Monkland Railways absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
01/08/1865[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[North British Railway]
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1868[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Waverley station re-building starts, new station designed by James Bell
  /  /1870[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Running water becomes available at Lenzie and villa building increases
  /  /1874[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Waverley station re-building ends
30/06/1874[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]) authorised
  /  /1875Gartshore Colliery
Opened by William Baird & Company beside the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
03/07/1876[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]) opened. The [Caledonian Railway] had running powers to Larbert from here.
  /  /1879[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Queen Street station re-built.
01/02/1887Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway
Circular service introduced by the North British Railway.
  /  /1888[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Improvement to Queen Street station complete. The tunnel mouth at the foot of the Cowlairs incline was opened out in preparation for the opening of a second (eastern) bore, and although the portal was built the tunnel was not.
  /  /1890[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Waverley extended following opening of the Forth Rail Bridge
  /  /1896Redding Colliery
James Nimmo and Company sink new No 23 shaft, on the north bank of the Union Canal and by the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
  /10/1901[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
New Cadder hump shunted yard opened by the [North British Railway].
12/01/1903Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway
Circular service withdrawn.
  /  /1904John G Stein
Opens new brickworks at Castlecary to use higher alumina content than Bonnybridge found there. Built by the [Caledonian Railway] and the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway].
  /09/1904[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Eastfield locomotive shed opened at Cowlairs.
26/08/1909[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
End of cable haulage on the Cowlairs Incline.
  /  /1920Gartshore Pit 3
Starts to work coal instead of ironstone, Pit 12 also driven alongside, to the north of the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
14/01/1929[South Queensferry Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
South Queensferry to Dalmeny closed to passengers.
22/09/1930[South Queensferry Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Ratho (Low level) to Kirkliston to Dalmeny Junction closed to passengers
10/12/1937[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Train crash at Castlecary when signal passed at danger (SPAD).
29/09/1951[Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway][Forth and Clyde Junction Railway][Blane Valley Railway][Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Aberfoyle to Kirkintilloch closed to passengers.
03/03/1954[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Accident with banking engine at Queen Street station demolishes destination board.
08/01/1956Glasgow City and District RailwayCoatbridge Branch (North British Railway)Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBathgate and Coatbridge Railway (Monkland Railways)Edinburgh and Bathgate RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Last regular Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Edinburgh Waverley via Shettleston, Coatbridge Sunnyside and Bathgate Upper service runs.
  /11/1956[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
New power box opened at Cowlairs.
  /  /1957[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
DMUs used for Edinburgh and Glasgow intercity service
05/10/1959Strathendrick and Aberfoyle RailwayForth and Clyde Junction RailwayBlane Valley RailwayCampsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)
Aberfoyle to Buchlyvie Junction to Gartness Junction to Campsie Glen (Lennox Castle Siding) closed to freight. Track not lifted until early 1960s.
06/01/1964[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Queen Street High Level Goods closed.
07/09/1964[Edinburgh Station and Branches] ([Caledonian Railway])
Duff street connection opened (Duff Street Junction, at Haymarket on the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway] opened). This connection allowed Edinburgh Princes Street to be closed.
07/09/1964[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Kirkintilloch to Lenzie Junction closed to passengers.
07/09/1964[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Cowlairs station closed.
  /  /1965[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Queen Street closed to steam.
  /  /1966[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Closed.
07/02/1966[South Queensferry Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Ratho (Low level) to Kirkliston to Royal Elizabeth Yard closed to freight
  /04/1966[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Cowlairs goods closed.
04/04/1966[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Lennoxtown to Kirkintilloch closed to freight.
04/04/1966[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Kirkintilloch to Lenzie Junction closed to freight.
04/04/1966[Blane Valley Railway]
[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Closed from Lennoxtown to Lennoxtown Junction.
06/11/1967[South Queensferry Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
South Queensferry to Dalmeny Junction closed to freight
  /  /1968[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Cowlairs works closed. Alternative date: 1966.
01/01/1968[Corstorphine Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Corstorphine to Edinburgh (Haymarket West Junction) closed to passengers
05/02/1968[Corstorphine Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Corstorphine to Edinburgh (Haymarket West Junction) closed to freight
  /  /1971[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
DMUs withdrawn from Edinburgh and Glasgow intercity service
  /  /1973[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Queen Street modernised.
  /06/1977[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Lenzie station buildings demolished
  /  /1978[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
New building opened at Lenzie station.
05/10/1981Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)
Sighthill Goods closed.
10/07/1984[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Train crash when train hits cow near Polmont. The light driving trailer of the push-pull lifted off the track. 13 were killed and 17 injured.
  /  /1989[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Bridge which carried the Pinkston Branch over Springburn Road to Port Dundas dismantled.
  /10/1992[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Eastfield Depot closed.
24/07/2001[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
6 people taken to hospital when train from Glasgow hits buffers at Waverley.

Route described

The line runs west from Edinburgh to Linlithgow, Falkirk, Lenzie and Glasgow. The route was chosen to be as level as possible and skirts round the north of the high ground south of Falkirk and the Monklands.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This is a terminus with seven platforms to the north of George Square in Glasgow. The railway was electrified in 2016.
...

More details
Centre portion of the new mural at the Queen Street concourse. ...
John Yellowlees 06/06/2016
Information on hoardings at Glasgow Queen Street. ...
John Yellowlees 11/10/2017
170430 dressed for Halloween at Glasgow Queen Street on 30th October 2017. ...
Colin McDonald 30/10/2017
170419 seen here today working the 1209 Queen Street-Inverness is no longer in ScotRail livery as it is now subleased back from Southern. 170416-20 ...
John Yellowlees 11/10/2017

Cowlairs Tunnel (also known as Queen Street High Level Tunnel) runs north from Glasgow Queen Street High Level half way up the Cowlairs Incline to Pinkston. It is a double track tunnel 999 yds long.
...

More details
The first of the new slab track peeps out of the Northern portal of the Queen Street tunnel. ...
Martin MacGuire 19/05/2016

The Cowlairs Incline is a double track mile and a quarter long uphill gradient running north from Glasgow Queen Street High Level to the former station at Cowlairs. The southern half of the route is within the Cowlairs Tunnel.
...

More details
380 116 coasts down the Cowlairs incline. ...
Bill Roberton 02/06/2018
Scene on Cowlairs incline in the summer of 1955 as a Queen Street - Perth train passes a convoy of light locomotives descending from Eastfield shed to ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 04/07/1955
The down 'North Briton' descending Cowlairs bank towards Queen Street near the end of its journey on 17 May 1957. The locomotive in charge is ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/05/1957
Gresley K2 2-6-0 no 61779 climbing Cowlairs incline in the summer of 1957 with a holiday special. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 13/07/1957

After an effortless climb, 170408 on a Glasgow - Edinburgh service reaches the top of the Cowlairs incline and into the sunlight on 22nd February ...
Colin McDonald 22/02/2016
170 416 nears the end of its climb to Cowlairs with the 0915 to
...
David Panton 11/09/2010
a 101 & a 107 pass each other at Cowlairs. ...
Brian Forbes //1988
Against a backdrop of the high flats of Springburn 158 741 descends
...
David Panton 11/09/2010

This was a station located at the top of the Cowlairs Incline. The station had an island platform. Nearby was the steam engine which hauled the cable bringing trains up the incline from Glasgow Queen Street High Level. A footbridge from the south end of the platform connected to the Cowlairs Works. The platform was originally very narrow and was widened around 1908 (after removal of ...

More details
'Director' 4-4-0 no 62689 Maid of Lorn photographed passing through the Cowlairs area on Saturday 26 April 1952 with a train for Fife. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/04/1952
A workmen's train negotiates the north to west curve at Cowlairs in September 1954. The locomotive is class J37 0-6-0 64633, built at Cowlairs Works ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/09/1954
47 642 idles at Cowlairs. This derelict land is now crossed by the Cowlairs Chord. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987


This is a four way junction. The 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway is met by the 1855 Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and the 1858 Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway. The City of Glasgow Union Railway's north end reached here in 1875.
...

More details
A class N2 0-6-2T passing Cowlairs West Junction with empty stock in September 1955. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/09/1955
Gresley V3 2-6-2T no 67600 with a Glasgow Queen Street - Kirkintilloch train passing Cowlairs West Junction on 6 September 1955. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/09/1955
Haymarket A3 Pacific no 60035 Windsor Lad brings the 6pm Queen Street - Waverley through Cowlairs West Junction in the summer of 1956. [South ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/06/1956
Thornton based D49 4-4-0 no 62749 Rutlandshire photographed at Cowlairs West on 26 June 1956 with a train from Fife. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/06/1956

Eastfield Shed did not date from the opening of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. It replaced Cowlairs Shed, which closed, located north of the Cowlairs Works.
...

More details
Class 365s at Eastfield. The recent electrification work makes this a difficult photograph to take. ...
John Yellowlees 16/05/2018
Grabshot from a passing train of the progress of the electrification work in early October 2017. The previous day there were dozens of contractor's ...
Colin McDonald 05/10/2017
Grab shot of 55003 Meld (actually 55022 Royal Scots Grey I believe) at Eastfield on 12 June 2015 with stock for St Rollox. ...
Mark Poustie 12/06/2015
Eastfield looking south. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/9/2004

This junction is located at the north of a triangular junction. A curve was put in during 1878 between the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and 1858 Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway. Its opening allowed goods and mineral trains to run from the north bank of the River Clyde towards Stirling, Falkirk and Edinburgh without requiring a reversal.
...

More details
J39 0-6-0 64897 held at signals with a lengthy freight at Cowlairs East Junction on 26 April 1952. The Eastfield breakdown crane stands alongside in ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/04/1952
Haymarket A3 60087 Blenheim passing Cowlairs East Junction on 4 July 1955 with the 6pm Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh Waverley. [See image ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 04/07/1955
A cheery wave from the driver of DMU 107747 heading for Glasgow Queen Street approaching Cowlairs East Junction in 1990. The line is bi-directional ...
Ewan Crawford //1990
1015 EDW-GLQ diverging from the E&G onto the Cowlairs East Junction to Cowlairs North Junction curve. ...
John Yellowlees 31/03/2016

This is a two platform station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line and is served by local trains. The main building is on the Glasgow bound platform. The station crosses over Crowhill Drive on a bridge. It is located at Bishopbriggs Cross.
...

More details
Glasgow (right) and Dunblane services cross at Bishopbriggs on 5 August. ...
David Panton 05/08/2017
A Glasgow to Dunblane service calls at Bishopbriggs on 25 August 2018. Opinion is divided on whether Bishopbriggs means 'Bishop's bridges' or ...
David Panton 25/08/2018
A Class 365 for Edinburgh passes through Bishopbriggs at speed on 25 August 2018. Passing through is all the 8-coach sets will do here as they are too ...
David Panton 25/08/2018
ScotRail 170424 speeds through Bishopbriggs in July 2005 with a Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh Waverley service. ...
John Furnevel 10/07/2005



This was a large marshalling yard on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway built by the North British Railway. It was hump shunted. The northern part of the yard was looped and the southern part was originally a set of dead end sidings shunted from the west but later looped.
...

More details
A pre-electrification scene on the E&G in September 2007. SPT liveried 170475 is seen here on a Waverley - Queen Street working between Lenzie and ...
John Furnevel 27/09/2007
Cadder box, (Cadder East until 1956), seen from the north side in 1988. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Falkirk Grahamston service just leaving the Up Slow at Cadder ...
Colin Harkins 06/11/2007
Four miles out from Queen Street on a bright and sunny September afternoon in 2007, First ScotRail 170409 runs east through the remnants of a sparsely ...
John Furnevel 27/09/2007


This is a two platform station. There is a car park on both sides of the station and the main station building is on the Glasgow, westbound, platform.
...

More details
An Alloa service calls at the home of Fags Mags and Bags (look it up) on 3 August 2019. Meanwhile PPE seems a little excessive for filling a ticket ...
David Panton 03/08/2019
158786, on a Glasgow Queen St to Alloa stopping service, calls at Lenzie on 21st September 2018. ...
Alastair McLellan 21/09/2018
An Alloa to Glasgow Queen Street Class 170 DMU service at Lenzie in September 2018. ...
Alastair McLellan 21/09/2018
A Glasgow service calls at Lenzie on 8 September 2018. The train was delayed because the Class 365 in front was brought to an emergency stop just west ...
David Panton 08/09/2018

This junction was east of Lenzie station and was the western end of a west to south curve which connected the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway to the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. The curved line was single track and connected with the double track mainlined and Garngaber Yard on the south side of the main line, running west to Lenzie. There were further sidings in the 'V' ...

More details

Sign at Whitegates, south of Kirkintilloch Basin. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This is a double track five arch viaduct which carries the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway over the Bothlin Burn and which also crossed the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. The embankment to the east also crossed a feeder for the Forth and Clyde Canal.
...

More details
This is the south side of the Bothlin Viaduct viewed from the trackbed of the former Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway in 1987. The trackbed is now, ...
Ewan Crawford 07/04/1987
View of the north side of the Bothlin Viaduct looking east. The second arch carried the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway and was skewed, unlike the ...
Ewan Crawford 07/04/1987
A view of the Bothlin Viaduct east of Lenzie station. Just to the east of Lenzie station were two junction - one north to Lennoxtown and another south ...
Ewan Crawford 07/04/1987


This junction opened in 1895 with a North British Railway built connection from Waterside (on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) south to [[Bridgend Junction (on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. It allowed westbound trains on E&G to reach the blast furnaces around Coatbridge without having to run round and reverse at Garngaber High Junction.
...

More details
In June 1988, a morning Glasgow Queen Street to Dunblane service is captured en route between Lenzie and Croy. The location is near the former ...
Mark Dufton /06/1988
Eastbound on the E&G in 1988. The view is from the Wester Gartshore bing and shows Waterside Junction, the M&K link built for Bairds to link their ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
All blue Class 104 dmu heads east past Fauldhead the miners village, with its water tower. situated between Waterside and Garngaber Junctions. ...
Brian Forbes //1988
DMU heading east viewed from the top of the Wester Gartshore bing in 1988. Near here an east facing junction was made with a spur from the Monkland ...
Ewan Crawford //1988


This set of sidings were for Gartshore Coal Pits Nos 9 and 11. These were approached from the west and located on the south side of the line. The signal box was on the north side of the line just west of the point of connection of the sidings.
...

More details


There are loops on either side of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway at Gartshore, historically the interchange point with the Bairds of Gartshore's Railway which ran north serving many coal pits. The Gartshore Exchange Sidings were just to the north.
...

More details

This is a two platform station originally serving a large area but with low population.
...

More details
170474 arriving at Croy with an Alloa to Glasgow Queen St. service on 30th July 2017.
...
Alastair McLellan 30/07/2017
A local for Glasgow Queen Street calls at Croy on 3rd August 2019. The morning mist had not yet burned off. ...
David Panton 03/08/2019
170471, on an Edinburgh to Glasgow service, calls at Croy on 14 October 2017. The days of diesels on this line are numbered, but how big is the ...
David Panton 14/10/2017
West Coast 37516 passing through Croy with an empty coaching movement from Fort William to Boness on 30th July 2017.
...
Alastair McLellan 30/07/2017


This was a two platform station with the main station building on the westbound platform. There were no goods facilities at first, but a small yard was added to the south of the line, west of the station and reached from the west.
...

More details


This signal box opened east of Dullator station to serve Dullator Colliery (on the north side of the line) and Dullator Sand Quarry (south side). The colliery originally opened in 1913 but failed by 1914 before being resunk in 1934.
...

More details

This mine was located east of Dullator on the north side of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
...

More details

This was a two platform station at the west end of the Castlecary Viaduct. To the north of the station was the Castlecary Fireclay and Lime Works which was rail served from the east (and had a tramway to the Forth and Clyde Canal).
...

More details
Alloway Cemetery.

...
Colin Miller 24/01/2015
A Glasgow - Edinburgh Push-Pull service clatters across Castlcary viaduct in August 1988 with the houses of the village standing amongst the trees ...
Brian Forbes /08/1988

This viaduct enjoys an impressive setting and will be better known to road users than rail users as it crosses the M80. The viaduct is double track, 582 ft long overall, 95 ft high and has eight arches.
...

More details
A road/rail vehicle parked at the side of the road near the viaduct awaiting use on the overnight renovation works. The east end of the viaduct are ...
Colin McDonald 20/10/2015
A westbound DMU crosses Castlecary Viaduct in 1990. View looks west. ...
Ewan Crawford //1990
A detail shot of how to prepare to attach OLE to a viaduct. ...
Colin McDonald 24/11/2015
On a cold February afternoon, an Edinburgh - Glasgow DMU crosses the M80 unaffected by the snow which has slowed motorway traffic.
...
Colin McDonald 13/02/2016

This curve, an Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway promotion, never opened. Intended to give the E&G access to Buchanan Street via the Caledonian Railway. ...

More details
Looking west at the embankment and possible bridge pier on a projected spur from the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway to the Caledonian Railway near ...
Bill Roberton 27/10/2017

At this junction trains from Glasgow to Edinburgh divide from those from Glasgow to Stirling and Perth. It is the junction between the former Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway of 1842 and the Scottish Central Railway of 1848. Both lines are double track.
...

More details
A new sign between Greenhill Upper and Greenhill Lower Junctions. ...
John Yellowlees 26/10/2017
Greenhill upper with a 7 car 380 set on an Edinburgh service. (No sign of 365s yet!) ...
Douglas McPherson 08/05/2018
158868 leads the 1L77 Glasgow Queen St to Dundee service past Greenhnill Upper Junction on a frosty 25th November 2017.
...
Douglas McPherson 25/11/2017
Banner at Greenhill explaining the function of the power supply feeder station for the EGIP electrification project and why it has been sited at this ...
Douglas McPherson 28/04/2017

This was a relatively short lived station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway which was an exchange point between that line and the Scottish Central Railway also serving the local, somewhat underpopulated, area. It must have been useful for railway employees however.
...

More details
Westbound electric on the Edinburgh and Glasgow viewed from the Greenhill Lower bridge. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/01/2018

This was a two platform station almost surrounded by brick works. The station was partly built on a bridge over a road, the station buildings being to the east of this and platforms extending over to the west. There was a goods yard to the south of the line, west of the station and a goods line bypassed the station to the south.
...

More details
Lines to the west of Falkirk on the OS One Inch map of 1957. All of
...
David Panton //1957

This was the west end of a loop which left the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway to serve works at Rough Castle and Port Downie on the Forth and Clyde Canal before rejoining the line at Falkirk High goods.
...

More details

A view of the Rough Castle opencast loading pad, near Falkirk, seen from a passing eastbound train in June 1989. In 2011 this remains in place, but ...
Ewan Crawford 12/06/1989
The south portal of Roughcastle Tunnel on the Union/Forth & Clyde Canal link in March 2014, with a westbound 170 passing on the E & G route. ...
Bill Roberton 11/03/2014
View from a train passing Roughcastle coal loading point, west of Falkirk High, on a cold and snowy 1 March 1986. The loco is F C Hibberd 'Planet' ...
Bill Roberton 01/03/1986

Lime Road Goods Station, a yard near Roughcastle, was east of Roughcastle Junction. It was a siding with a loop on the north side of the line, accessed from east. There was a signal box opposite to the south. The west end was later connected to create a loop off the eastbound line.
...

More details



This is a two platform station in the south of Falkirk. There is a car park to the north, the former goods yard, and a new station building on the eastbound platform, replacing two typical North British Railway buildings which faced each other on each platform.
...

More details
The time to celebrate the E&G will be later in the year when our new faster longer greener trains are in service.
...
John Yellowlees 18/02/1992
A pair of electric 380s at Falkirk High. ...
John Yellowlees 10/12/2017
The 'Antnine' artwork and a Class 380 eye each other up at Falkirk High on 29th August 2018. ...
John Yellowlees 29/08/2018
Even with the the 380s and the borrowed 365s the use of diesel on the EGML is not over - on 7 July anyway. ...
David Panton 07/07/2018

This is a double track tunnel of 845 yds length. The tunnel is just to the east of Falkirk High station. The line passes under the west end of the Callendar House grounds here.
...

More details

This box controlled access to the Shieldhill and Redding Collieries Railway, a private mineral line.
...

More details


This shed was west of Polmont station and Polmont Junction to the south side of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. The shed was approached from both east and west. The site was bounded to the south by the Union Canal.
...

More details
Name painted on the splasher of Robinson D11 4-4-0 no 62682, photographed in 1959 during the period the locomotive was 'stored' in the sidings ...
A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 15/08/1959
Locomotives 'stored' at Polmont in 1959 included C16 4-4-2T no 67492 and J72 0-6-0T no 69014. Both were ex-64A, with 67492 'officially withdrawn' the ...
K A Gray 27/07/1959
J37 0-6-0 no 64537 standing in the shed yard at Polmont on 15 August 1959. ...
A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 15/08/1959
Holden J69 0-6-0T no 68524 'stored' in the sidings alongside Polmont shed in the summer of 1959. 68524 is recorded as being withdrawn from here in ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 27/07/1959

This panel box is on the north side of Polmont Junction. It replaced Polmont Junction and Bo'ness Junction signal boxes in 1979.
...

More details

This junction is between the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway of 1842 and the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway of 1850.
...

More details
A Waverley bound 158 joins the E&G main line at Polmont Junction on 7 August. ...
John Furnevel 07/08/2007
An Edinburgh - Dunblane 158 service, having just left the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line at Polmont Junction (at the bridge in the left background) ...
John Furnevel 07/08/2007
An eastbound empty stock movement runs through Polmont Junction on 23 April 2010. The area on the left was once occupied by the shed and sidings of ...
John Furnevel 23/04/2010
The daily Edinburgh - Alloa direct service leaves the EGML at Polmont Junction on 2 September. Note the floodlights that have recently been installed ...
David Panton 02/09/2009

This is a two platform station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line. There is a station building on the eastbound platform.
...

More details
A Class 380 calls at Polmont with an Edinburgh - Cumbernauld - Glasgow service on 14 March 2019. Along with Linlithgow, Polmont lost its direct trains ...
David Panton 14/03/2019
A Dunblane service pulls into Polmont on 30 May. Instead of the usual security announcements the information screens were enjoining customers to carry ...
David Panton 30/05/2018
With electric trains running to diesel timetables early arrivals at intermediate stops are usual, as with this 1309 departure for Edinburgh on 14 ...
David Panton 14/03/2019
A Dunblane to Edinburgh service calls at Polmont for the 1300 departure on
...
David Panton 29/11/2017

This signal box was east of Polmont station on the north side of the line. East of the station a long siding on the south side of the line was converted into a loop and a bay platform single track was added to the east end of the eastbound platform.
...

More details

This junction gave the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway access to the Bo'ness branch (Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway). Approach was from the west. Both lines were doubled with the branch dropping to single track after Bo'ness Low Junction. This layout dated from 1893 when a signal box ('Manuel High Level') opened here. The original 1851 connection was not direct but by ...

More details
The Strathspey Railway Association Strathmore Express takes the Kinneil branch past Boness Junction signal box on 25 May 1974. ...
Bill Roberton 25/05/1974

This was largely an interchange station between the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the routes to Bo'ness and Slamannan. There were three high level platforms, two on the main line and a bay at the west end of the westbound platform for trains to Blackston Junction and beyond. Manuel Low Level was below at the east end of the high level station. When opened there was very ...

More details
Running round a train from Boness at Manuel on 9 April 2011. ...
John Yellowlees 09/04/2011
D49 4-4-0 no 246 Morayshire dropping down from Manuel with the SRPS 12.55 to Bo'ness on 6 August 2013. ...
Bill Roberton 06/08/2013
An Edinburgh - Glasgow shuttle approaching Manuel in July 2007. ...
John Furnevel 07/07/2007
GNR N2 0-6-2T 1744 running round at Manuel on 20 October 2013 after bringing in a service from Boness. ...
Bill Roberton 20/10/2013

This is a double track 23 arch viaduct, 442 yards long and 70 ft high, west of Linlithgow station.
...

More details
A westbound train crossing the Avon Viaduct, Linlithgow. Wires up and looking ready for electric trains. View looks south. ...
Ewan Crawford 08/10/2017
A Glasgow - Edinburgh shuttle approaching Linlithgow on the Avon viaduct in 2005. ...
John Furnevel 30/05/2005
Trains passing on the impressive Avon Viaduct near Linlithgow on 23rd October 2019.
...
John Gray 23/10/2019
A 6-car 170 crossing the Avon Viaduct, Linlithgow, on 16 October.
...
Brian Forbes 16/10/2010

This was a goods yard in the west of Linlithgow, west of Linlithgow station itself. The sidings were on a loop on the north side of the line. To the west is the Avon Viaduct.
...

More details

This is a two platform station. An original station building stands on the eastbound platform, a remarkable survivor. The building is two storeys, one seen from the platform. At its east end is a covered area. The west end of the eastbound platform is slightly cantilevered out over St Michael's Wynd.
...

More details
Because of works at Glasgow Queen Street, services using the Cumbernauld line are stopping short at Springburn. Here is such a service at Linlithgow ...
David Panton 26/09/2019
68006 speeds away from Linlithgow with an Edinburgh - Motherwell TMD empty stock working (from the ex-Glenrothes with Thornton commuter service). 8 ...
Bill Roberton 08/05/2018
Beautiful new banners have been hung by the stairs to the eastbound platform at Linlithgow, replacing previous ones installed there many years ago. ...
John Yellowlees 08/07/2017
365519 nears Linlithgow with the 14.28 from Dunblane to Edinburgh, about to pass 385022 at the station with 14.45 from Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen ...
Bill Roberton 12/03/2019

This was a two platform station just to the north of the rail served Philpstoun Oil Works with which it was associated. The works had its own railway network spreading out to various oil shale mines.
...

More details
An Edinburgh Waverley - Glasgow Queen Street shuttle service in the cutting approaching the site of Philpstoun station on 7 July 2007. ...
John Furnevel 07/07/2007
A Dunblane - Waverley service approaches Philpstoun in 2003. ...
James Young 06/12/2003
Class 365s near Philpstoun seen from the Union Canal towpath. ...
John Yellowlees 21/07/2018
A Dunblane - Edinburgh Waverley 158 working passes the site of the former Philpstoun station, located approximately 2 miles east of Linlithgow, on 26 ...
John Furnevel 26/06/2008

This junction opened in 1890 between the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the approach to the then new Forth Bridge. It is the western end of a line which runs to Dalmeny. This was a double track junction.
...

More details
A4 Pacific 60009 Union of South Africa climbing away from Winchburgh Junction with the morning SRPS Forth Circle special on 27 April ...
Jim Peebles 27/04/2014
An afternoon Glasgow Queen St to Edinburgh Waverley push-pull working hurries past Winchburgh Junction with what appears to be class 27 No. 5400 ...
Bill Jamieson /04/1972
Running east from Winchburgh Junction is a loaded coal train for Longannet. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking east along the Winchburgh Loop towards Dalmeny Junction in April 1972, with Winchburgh Junction behind the camera and the trackbed of Myre ...
Bill Jamieson /04/1972

This was a two platform station located partly in the cutting just to the north of Winchburgh Tunnel.
...

More details
The SRPS Forth Circle special runs through Winchburgh on 14 September approaching the bridge over the B8020. Stanier Pacific 46233 Duchess ...
Jim Peebles 14/09/2014
Stanier Pacific 46233 Duchess of Sutherland crossing Beatly Road bridge at Winchburgh on 14 September 2014 with the SRPS Forth Circle ...
Jim Peebles 14/09/2014
60009 crosses Beatlie Road, Winchburgh, with the morning Fife Circle tour on 27 April 2014. ...
Jim Peebles 27/04/2014
K1 2-6-0 no 62005 heads for Winchburgh tunnel on 1 May 2014 with the Edinburgh Waverley - Fort William (train B) portion of the Great Britain ...
Jim Peebles 01/05/2014

This is a double track tunnel with the former Winchburgh station at the north end and the former Broxburn West Signal Box for the Niddry Castle Oilworks to the south. At both ends it approaches in long cuttings.
...

More details
The western portal of Winchburgh tunnel on 19th May 2015, photographed through the chainlink fencing. Work is due to start here shortly. [See recent ...
Colin McDonald 19/05/2015
A Metro-Cammell dmu bursts out of Winchburgh Tunnel on what is probably the 15:08 Stirling - Edinburgh Waverley service, thought to be in April 1972. ...
Bill Jamieson /04/1972
The scene at the Linlithgow end of Winchburgh tunnel on 2nd July 2015 with the lowering of the track level in progress. On the right are the ...
Colin McDonald 02/07/2015
View south from above the site of Winchburgh Station on 14 June 2015. The north portal of Winchburgh Tunnel is visible on the left, with the ...
Bill Roberton 14/06/2015

This box controlled access to the Niddry Oilworks sidings from the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. The sidings were on the east side of the line, approached from the south.
...

More details

This was a short lived station. It opened not long after the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway but was too distant from Broxburn itself and closed shortly afterwards.
...

More details

This junction on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was for the Broxburn Oilworks branch, the Broxburn Railway. The branch also served the Albyn Oil Works. The branch was approached from the north.
...

More details
View towards Edinburgh at Broxburn Junction in 2003. The Broxburn branch ran off to the right and there were several sidings off the branch. The ...
Ewan Crawford 26/12/2003
Bings at the former shale works at Broxburn. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This is a seven arch viaduct which crosses the A89. The viaduct is 139 yds long overall and 55 ft high. To the east is the much longer Almond Valley Viaduct.
...

More details
Looking east along the A89 towards Edinburgh on a pleasant April afternoon in 2009, as a ScotRail 170 DMU crosses Broxburn Viaduct with a limited stop ...
John Furnevel 02/04/2009
A late afternoon Queen Street to Waverley push-pull working (the rear class 27 is hidden by the trees) crosses the Broxburn Viaduct, which these days ...
Bill Jamieson /04/1972
There was no train crossing the Broxburn Viaduct over the then A8 trunk road when I photographed it late one afternoon in April 1972, but the vehicle ...
Bill Jamieson /04/1972
A 158 heading for Edinburgh on 2 April crosses the A89 east of Broxburn on Broxburn Viaduct. ...
John Furnevel 02/04/2009

This is a double track 36 arch viaduct. The viaduct is 681 yds long overall and 60 ft high. The east end of the viaduct crosses the River Almond, the rest crossing the low lying land to the west. Alternative names for this viaduct are Almond Viaduct, Ratho Viaduct and Newbridge Viaduct.
...

More details
A Sprinter crossing Almond Valley Viaduct viewed from the south west in 2003. The dirt road is the trackbed of the mineral line to the Newliston Shale ...
Ewan Crawford 28/12/2003
Almond Valley Viaduct looking east. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Almond Valley Viaduct looking east. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The Almond Viaduct with a class 380 crossing, seen from the trackbed of the Newliston Shale Mine branch. ...
Bill Roberton 02/06/2018

Bathgate Junction was created with the opening of the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway line west to Bathgate [1st] in 1849. It met the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway of 1842.
...

More details
ScotRail 170408 runs east through a pre-electrification Newbridge Junction on 29 June 2008. The train is the 0845 Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh ...
John Furnevel 29/06/2008
Anti-graffiti artwork at Newbridge Junction.
...
John Yellowlees 30/05/2017
Newbridge junction's original name, carried on as a location in 1995. ...
David Panton //1995
A ballast train from the Bathgate area joins the E&G main line at Newbridge Junction on 28 June 2008. 66184 is about to run east below Harvest Road ...
John Furnevel 28/06/2008

This former station gave rise to the curiosity that is Ratho Station, a small village on the edge of Edinburgh with no station. (Akin to Balfron Station or even Stromeferry (no ferry)). Ratho Station, the village, developed to the north of the station.
...

More details
The low platforms of the former Ratho station on the E&G seen from above in a view which looks north towards the former Low Level station. ...
John Yellowlees 02/08/2018
Sunday PW work on the E&G main line alongside the M8 east of Ratho on 11 June 2006. ...
John Furnevel 11/06/2006
Ratho looking east. Ratho Low Level station on the Edinburgh & Bathgate route (closed in 1930) was to the left. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The 1248 Newcraighall - Dunblane service runs west through the remains of the 1842 E&G station at Ratho on 5 June 2008. ...
John Furnevel 05/06/2008

This junction was east of Ratho station (on the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and Ratho (Low Level) (on the 1866 South Queensferry Branch (North British Railway)), formed with the branch opened.
...

More details
The closed signal box at Ratho Junction on 14 May 1978. ...
Bill Roberton 14/05/1978

The passenger and goods stations at Gogar were at different locations. Gogar is a rural area right on the western edge of Edinburgh.
...

More details
A fragment of the Up platform fencing is all that remains of Gogar station. It closed in 1930, unsurprisingly as Gogar parish lacked any centre of ...
David Panton 21/10/2019
An Edinburgh service passes the site of Gogar station as it slows down for a stop at Edinburgh Park on 22 July 2019. Despite its proximity to the city ...
David Panton 22/07/2019
A Milngavie service passes the site of Gogar station on the E&G on 13 April 2019. Apart from the immediate surroundings this location, cut off from ...
David Panton 13/04/2019

This is a two platform modern glass and steel station built in Edinburgh Park, a business park to the south of the Gyle Centre and to the west of Edinburgh.
...

More details
An Edinburgh service calls at Edinburgh Park on 22 July 2019. This station sees eight trains an hour each way with another four passing through. Its a ...
David Panton 22/07/2019
An eastbound Class 385 calls at Edinburgh Park on 22 July 2019. A delay in opening the doors causes one gentleman consternation and gives me a chance ...
David Panton 22/07/2019
A westbound service approaches Edinburgh Park on 22 July 2019 with the kenspeckle bulk of Arthur's Seat in the background. Surrounded by an industrial ...
David Panton 22/07/2019
Having passed under the tram viaduct, on the very edge of the city proper, an Edinburgh service approaches Edinburgh Park station on 17th August 2018. ...
David Panton 17/08/2018

This signal box was to the west of Saughton Junction and Saughton station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. The box was the south side of the line. ...

More details

This was a four platform station on raised embankments to the east side of Saughton Road in western Edinburgh.
...

More details
A 6-car class 334 EMU set eastbound between Edinburgh Park and Haymarket on a sunny summer afternoon in July 2014. The train is the 1323 Milngavie - ...
John Furnevel 25/07/2014
ScotRail 170414 running west at speed on the approach to Saughton Junction on 26 October 2002 with an Edinburgh Waverley - Glasgow Queen Street ...
John Furnevel 26/10/2002
Shortly after leaving Balgreen on a sunny 25 July 2014 a westbound Edinburgh tram climbs to cross the Edinburgh - Glasgow main line on the approach to ...
John Furnevel 25/07/2014
A Bathgate train westbound from Haymarket in November 2006 approaching Saughton Junction. ...
John Furnevel 02/11/2006

This junction is west of Edinburgh. This is where the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway of 1842 is met by the Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway) of 1890. The location is just east of the former Saughton station. Both lines are double track and from the east of the junction to Edinburgh the line is quadrupled.
...

More details
A westbound 158 about to run past the site of Saughton Junction on its way to Bathgate in September 2009. At this point in time electrification masts ...
John Furnevel 09/09/2009
A DMU bound for Larbert passes through Saughton Junction on 26 August 1959. ...
A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 26/08/1959
B1 61340 hurries west past Saughton Junction on 31 July 1959. ...
A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 31/07/1959
Eastfield B1 no 61197 takes a train west at Saughton Junction in July 1959. ...
A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 31/07/1959

This signal box was around a quarter of a mile to the east of the original connection between the 1890 Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway) and the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway at Corstorphine Junction. The signal box was on the south side of the line. The box opened in 1894, a year in advance of the quadrupling of the line between Corstorphine Junction and ...

More details

Balgreen tram stop occupies the exact location of Balgreen Halt, hard by the main line near Haymarket West Junction. The morning LNER Aberdeen to ...
David Panton 16/07/2018
A train for Glasgow via Cumbernauld passes Haymarket West Junction (and Balgreen tramstop) on 13 April 2019. ...
David Panton 13/04/2019
First class decadence - all before 10am on a Sunday! 'The Cathedrals Express' passes Haymarket West Junction on a trip from Edinburgh to Fife.
...
Martin MacGuire 20/05/2018
Grab shot of a Fife Circle loco-hauled stock on the Sub at Gorgie. The train is standing at a signal awaiting access to the main line at Haymarket ...
John Yellowlees 05/10/2016

This is a train maintenance depot in the west of Edinburgh, just west of Haymarket station and accessed from the east.
...

More details
HSTs at Haymarket MPD seen from a tram on 13th January 2019. ...
John Yellowlees 13/01/2019
43033 with its striking new ScotRail livery in the sun at Haymarket. ...
John Yellowlees 06/05/2018
A 1980 scene in the shed yard at Haymarket. ...
Colin Alexander /03/1980
Three of several HST (or bits of them) languishing at Haymarket depot on 22 October 2019. Meanwhile 170s or even two-car 158s are doing what should ...
David Panton 22/10/2019

This junction is west of Haymarket station and Haymarket East Junction. The junction opened with the Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway junction in 1884.
...

More details
This is a view of the recently wired-up Haymarket Central Junction from a passing train. Part of the EGIP project it will allow the new electric ...
Charlie Niven 20/06/2016
60009 Union of South Africa passing Haymarket coal yard on 1 September 1979 with a railtour heading for Aberdeen. ...
John Furnevel 01/09/1979
Preserved A4 Pacific 60009 Union of South Africa with a railtour westbound between Haymarket station and Haymarket MPD. The train is about to ...
John Furnevel 01/09/1979
'Welcome to Marlboro Country...' Preserved A4 Pacific 60009 Union of South Africa with a special heading for Aberdeen in September ...
John Furnevel 01/09/1979

This junction is directly west of Haymarket station. It opened in 1964, finally completing the line from Slateford Junction [1st] laid down in 1859. The connection was known as the Duff Street Spur. This joined together the former Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway).
...

More details
170472, on a Glasgow Queen Street to Edinbrgh Waverley service, clatters over the points at Haymarket East and into the station. Photographed from ...
David Panton 07/08/2017
A BR InterCity 125 slowing for the Haymarket stop on 19 April 1982 about to pass Haymarket East Junction. The train is a mid-morning Aberdeen - Kings ...
John Furnevel 19/04/1982
Glasgow Central to Edinburgh Waverley coming off the branch at Haymarket East Junction. ...
Brian Forbes 13/05/2010
A morning GNER Kings Cross - Glasgow Central service pulls away from the Haymarket stop in August 2006 and immediately turns left onto the Carstairs ...
John Furnevel 05/08/2006


This is a five platform station in the west of Edinburgh where the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and Caledonian Railway divide. An 1842 Georgian building, by John Miller, dating from the opening as a terminus now fronts a station which is a train, tram and bus interchange.
...

More details
Poppy train: 1000 Edinburgh-Dundee at Haymarket. ...
John Yellowlees 10/11/2017
Voyagers pass at Haymarket. ...
John Yellowlees 27/01/2017
Spring morning reflections. The 0608hrs Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy at Haymarket on Wednesday 22 May 2019. Grab shot from a perfectly positioned 0526hrs ...
David Pesterfield 22/05/2019
158713, on a Dunblane service, arriving at Haymarket station on 16th May 2016. ...
David Bosher 16/05/2016

The Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was extended east from Haymarket through Haymarket Tunnels to what is now Edinburgh Waverley station through Princes Street Gardens and the Mound Tunnels under The Mound in 1846.
...

More details
The rear of an East Coast HST heads west through Princes Street Gardens on 19 August 2011 with a service to Aberdeen. ...
John McIntyre 19/08/2011
A 4-car 158 takes a Fife service through Princes Street Gardens on 2nd June 2017. ...
David Panton 02/06/2017
380 107 leads a Glasgow Queen Street service through Princes Street Gardens on 24th July 2018.
...
Bill Roberton 24/07/2018
68007 Valiant takes happy commuters home for the weekend on Friday 12/05/2017. ...
David Panton 12/05/2017

This is the main station in Edinburgh and acts as both a terminus and through station. The larger part of the station is covered by a large glazed roof by Blyth and Cunningham and is an island platform with bays at either end. There is a smaller island platform outwith the main roof on the south side.
...

More details
A grab shot of the splasher nameplate of the 'Flying Scotsman' from Waverley's
...
Martin MacGuire 20/05/2018
GBRf 66 739 Bluebell Railway, formerly at the tail of The Royal Scotsman, prepares to strike east at Waverley Platform 8. ...
David Panton 08/09/2017
North British Railway window at Waverley, one of a pair in the station's conference room. ...
John Yellowlees 11/06/2019
The North British Railway crest, one of a pair of windows in the Edinburgh Waverley conference room. ...
John Yellowlees 11/06/2019