The line was built as an intercity route between Edinburgh and Glasgow to carry passengers and goods.
When first opened the fastest trains, carrying mail, took an hour and a half. Those stopping at the ten stations, and two termini, took two hours.
|/ /1838||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|/ /1840||Nethercroy Colliery|
In operation above Auchinstarry on Croy Hill, later operated by the Carron Iron Works and they built a railway round the east side of the Croy hill to the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|/ /1840||Dunmore Quarry, Polmaise Quarry, Plean Quarry, Bannockburn Quarry|
Opened after the Scottish Central Railway and Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway opened.
|/ /1841||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Cowlairs Works opens.
|18/02/1842||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]|
Glasgow Queen Street station opened (originally called Glasgow or Dundas Street). (Date also given as the 21st.)
|21/02/1842||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Service starts between Glasgow Queen Street (then simply 'Glasgow') and Haymarket ('Edinburgh').
|/ /1844||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Banking engines tried on the Cowlairs incline between Glasgow Queen Street at Cowlairs. Rope haulage was used to assist locomotives pulling trains up this incline. The rope was dropped at the top of the incline. Brake vans were used going down into Queen Street.
|26/12/1844||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway|
New Kirkintilloch station opened to exchange with Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway station of same name by the Bothlin Viaduct.
|26/12/1844||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway|
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway's Horse-drawn service between Kirkintilloch Basin station and new Kirkintilloch station commences.
|/ /1846||Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway|
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
|/ /1846||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Edinburgh General station (Edinburgh Waverley) opened further east from Haymarket, the former terminus.
|01/08/1846||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Line extended from Haymarket to meet the North British Railway at North Bridge station.
|/ /1847||Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway)|
Slateford to Haymarket (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) Act passed.
|/ /1848||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Villas start being built by Lenzie station
|/ /1848||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Give up using banking engines on the Cowlairs incline.
|05/07/1848||Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Campsie Branch opened from Lenzie (called Campsie Junction) to Lennoxtown [1st]. Stations at; Campsie Junction, Kirkintilloch [2nd], Milton of Campsie, Lennoxtown [1st].
|/ /1849||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|/ /1850||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Some villas built by Bishopbriggs station
|/ /1853||Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway)|
Slateford to a bay platform by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway's Haymarket station opened. Trains could run from the bay to Carstairs or Falkirk.
|28/05/1858||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Opened as single track from Cowlairs Junction to Bowling and Dalreoch Junction to Helensburgh. Due to a disagreement over station access charges between the company and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway the first trains ran to Buchanan Street using the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and a connection at St Rollox with the Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway) line. The disagreement was resolved a month later.
|/ /1860||Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company)|
Line opened to goods. Worked by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|/ /1860||William Baird and Company
Forth and Clyde Canal
Baird's Private Railway|
Open mines at Twechar, Twechar Swing Bridge laid across the Forth and Clyde Canal for the private line which ran from Kilsyth to Gartshore Loops on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|/ /1860||Gartshore Colliery Pits 9 and 11|
Sunk by William Baird and Company to the south of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|14/08/1862||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway|
Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|14/08/1862||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
The Helensburgh line was absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|/ /1864||Alva RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Alva Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Monkland Railways absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|01/08/1865||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
North British Railway
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
|/ /1868||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Waverley station re-building starts, new station designed by James Bell
|/ /1870||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Running water becomes available at Lenzie and villa building increases
|/ /1874||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Waverley station re-building ends
|30/06/1874||Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) authorised.
|/ /1875||Gartshore Colliery|
Opened by William Baird and Company beside the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|03/07/1876||Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) opened. The Caledonian Railway had running powers to Larbert from here.
|/ /1879||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Queen Street station re-built.
|/ /1880||Lion Foundry (Kirkintilloch)|
Opened, served by both the Forth and Clyde Canal (raw materials) and the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) (outgoing products).
|01/02/1887||Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway|
Circular service introduced by the North British Railway.
|/ /1888||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Improvement to Queen Street station complete. The tunnel mouth at the foot of the Cowlairs incline was opened out in preparation for the opening of a second (eastern) bore, and although the portal was built the tunnel was not.
|/ /1890||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Waverley extended following opening of the Forth Rail Bridge
|/ /1896||Redding Colliery|
James Nimmo and Company sink new Redding Colliery No 23 shaft, on the north bank of the Union Canal and by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|/10/1901||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
New Cadder Yard, hump shunted, opened by the North British Railway.
|12/01/1903||Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway|
Circular service withdrawn.
|/ /1904||John G Stein|
Opens new brickworks at Castlecary to use higher alumina content, than Bonnybridge, found there. Built by the Caledonian Railway and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|/09/1904||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Eastfield locomotive shed opened at Cowlairs.
|26/08/1909||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
End of cable haulage on the Cowlairs Incline.
|/ /1920||Gartshore Colliery Pit 3|
Starts to work coal instead of ironstone, Gartshore Colliery Pit 12 also driven alongside, to the north of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|14/01/1929||South Queensferry Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
South Queensferry [1st] to Dalmeny Junction closed to passengers.
|22/09/1930||South Queensferry Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Ratho (Low level) to Kirkliston to Dalmeny Junction closed to passengers.
|10/12/1937||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Train crash at Castlecary when signal passed at danger (SPAD).
|29/09/1951||Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Blane Valley Railway
Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Aberfoyle to Kirkintilloch [2nd] (excluded) closed to passengers.
|03/03/1954||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Accident with banking engine at Queen Street station demolishes destination board.
|08/01/1956||Glasgow City and District RailwayCoatbridge Branch (North British Railway)Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBathgate and Coatbridge Railway (Monkland Railways)Edinburgh and Bathgate RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Last regular Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Edinburgh Waverley via Shettleston, Coatbridge Sunnyside and Bathgate Upper service runs.
|/11/1956||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
New power box opened at Cowlairs.
|/ /1957||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
DMUs used for Edinburgh and Glasgow intercity service
|05/10/1959||Strathendrick and Aberfoyle RailwayForth and Clyde Junction RailwayBlane Valley RailwayCampsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Aberfoyle to Buchlyvie Junction to Gartness Junction to Campsie Glen, Lennox Castle Siding, (excluded) closed to freight. Track not lifted until early 1960s.
|06/01/1964||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Queen Street High Level Goods closed.
|07/09/1964||Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway)|
Duff street connection opened (Duff Street Junction, at Haymarket on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway opened). This connection allowed Edinburgh Princes Street to be closed.
|07/09/1964||Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Kirkintilloch [2nd] to Lenzie Junction closed to passengers.
|07/09/1964||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Cowlairs station closed.
|/ /1965||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Queen Street closed to steam.
|07/02/1966||South Queensferry Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Ratho (Low level) to Kirkliston to Royal Elizabeth Yard closed to freight.
|/04/1966||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Cowlairs goods closed.
|04/04/1966||Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Lennoxtown [1st] to Kirkintilloch [2nd] to Lenzie Junction (excluded) closed to freight.
|06/11/1967||South Queensferry Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
South Queensferry [1st] to Dalmeny Junction closed to freight.
|/ /1968||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Cowlairs works closed. Alternative date: 1966.
|01/01/1968||Corstorphine Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Corstorphine to Edinburgh (Haymarket West Junction) closed to passengers.
|05/02/1968||Corstorphine Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Corstorphine to Edinburgh (Haymarket West Junction) closed to freight.
|/ /1971||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
DMUs withdrawn from Edinburgh and Glasgow intercity service
|/ /1973||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Queen Street modernised.
|/06/1977||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Lenzie station buildings demolished
|/ /1978||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
New building opened at Lenzie station.
|05/10/1981||Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Sighthill Goods closed.
|10/07/1984||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Train crash when train hits cow near Polmont. The light driving trailer of the push-pull lifted off the track. 13 were killed and 17 injured.
|/ /1989||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Bridge which carried the Pinkston Branch over Springburn Road to Port Dundas dismantled.
|/10/1992||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Eastfield Depot closed.
|24/07/2001||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
6 people taken to hospital when train from Glasgow hits buffers at Waverley.
The line runs west from Edinburgh to Linlithgow, Falkirk, Lenzie and Glasgow. The route was chosen to be as level as possible and skirts round the north of the high ground south of Falkirk and the Monklands.
These locations are along the line.
This is a terminus with seven platforms to the north of George Square in Glasgow. The railway was electrified in 2016.
Cowlairs Tunnel (also known as Queen Street High Level Tunnel) runs north from Glasgow Queen Street High Level half way up the Cowlairs Incline to Pinkston. It is a double track tunnel 999 yds long.
The Cowlairs Incline is a double track mile and a quarter long uphill gradient running north from Glasgow Queen Street High Level to the former station at Cowlairs. The southern half of the route is within the Cowlairs Tunnel.
This junction was formed in 1992 with the opening of the south to east curve of the Cowlairs Chord (British Railways). The chord provides direct access to Cumbernauld for trains from Glasgow Queen Street High Level, formerly commencing from Springburn with a connecting Milngavie-Queen Street Low Level-Springburn shuttle. The original Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway is ...More details
This was a station located at the top of the Cowlairs Incline. The station had an island platform. Nearby was the steam engine which hauled the cable bringing trains up the incline from Glasgow Queen Street High Level. A footbridge from the south end of the platform connected to the Cowlairs Works. The platform was originally very narrow and was widened around 1908 (after removal of ...More details
This is a four way junction. The 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway is met by the 1855 Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and the 1858 Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway. The City of Glasgow Union Railway's north end reached here in 1875. In addition the Cowlairs Works was to the south, on the west side.
This junction is located at the north of a triangular junction. A curve was put in during 1878 between the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and 1858 Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway. Its opening allowed goods and mineral trains to run from the north bank of the River Clyde towards Stirling, Falkirk and Edinburgh without requiring a reversal.
This is a two platform station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line and is served by local trains. The main building is on the Glasgow bound platform. The station crosses over Crowhill Drive on a bridge. It is located at Bishopbriggs Cross.
This was a large marshalling yard on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway built by the North British Railway. It was hump shunted. The northern part of the yard was looped and the southern part was originally a set of dead end sidings shunted from the west but later looped.
This is a two platform station. There is a car park on both sides of the station and the main station building is on the Glasgow, westbound, platform.
This junction was east of Lenzie station and was the western end of a west to south curve which connected the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway to the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. The curved line was single track and connected with the double track mainlined and Garngaber Yard on the south side of the main line, running west to Lenzie. There were further sidings in the 'V' ...More details
This is a double track five arch masonry viaduct which carries the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway over the Bothlin Burn and which also crossed the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. The embankment to the east also crossed a feeder for the Forth and Clyde Canal. The viaduct is around 300 ft long.
This junction opened in 1895 with a North British Railway built connection from Waterside (on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) south to [[Bridgend Junction (on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. It allowed westbound trains on E&G to reach the blast furnaces around Coatbridge without having to run round and reverse at Garngaber High Junction.
This is a two platform station originally serving a large area but with low population.
This was a two platform station with the main station building on the westbound platform. There were no goods facilities at first, but a small yard was added to the south of the line, west of the station and reached from the west.
This was a two platform station at the west end of the Castlecary Viaduct. To the north of the station was the Castlecary Fireclay and Lime Works which was rail served from the east (and had a tramway to the Forth and Clyde Canal).
This viaduct enjoys an impressive setting and will be better known to road users than rail users as it crosses the M80. The viaduct is double track, 582 ft long overall, 95 ft high and has eight arches.
This Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway curve never opened but the earthworks still partly remain.
At this junction trains from Glasgow to Edinburgh divide from those from Glasgow to Stirling and Perth. It is the junction between the former Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway of 1842 and the Scottish Central Railway of 1848. Both lines are double track.
This was a relatively short lived station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway which was an exchange point between that line and the Scottish Central Railway also serving the local, somewhat underpopulated, area. It must have been useful for railway employees however.
This was a two platform station almost surrounded by brick works. The station was partly built on a bridge over a road, the station buildings being to the east of this and platforms extending over to the west. There was a goods yard to the south of the line, west of the station and a goods line bypassed the station to the south.
This is a two platform station in the south of Falkirk. There is a car park to the north, the former goods yard, and a new station building on the eastbound platform, replacing two typical North British Railway buildings which faced each other on each platform.
This shed was west of Polmont station and Polmont Junction to the south side of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. The shed was approached from both east and west. The site was bounded to the south by the Union Canal.
This is a two platform station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line. There is a station building on the eastbound platform.
This junction gave the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway access to the Bo'ness branch (Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway). Approach was from the west. Both lines were doubled with the branch dropping to single track after Bo'ness Low Junction. This layout dated from 1893 when a signal box ('Manuel High Level') opened here. The original 1851 connection was not direct but by ...More details
This was largely an interchange station between the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the routes to Bo'ness and Slamannan. There were three high level platforms, two on the main line and a bay at the west end of the westbound platform for trains to Blackston Junction and beyond. Manuel Low Level was below at the east end of the high level station. When opened there was very ...More details
This is a double track 23 arch masonry viaduct, 442 yards long and 70 ft high, west of Linlithgow station.
This is a two platform station. An original station building stands on the eastbound platform, a remarkable survivor. The building is two storeys, one seen from the platform. At its east end is a covered area. The west end of the eastbound platform is slightly cantilevered out over St Michael's Wynd.
This was a two platform station just to the north of the rail served Philpstoun Oil Works with which it was associated. The works had its own railway network spreading out to various oil shale mines.
This junction opened in 1890 between the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the approach to the then new Forth Bridge. It is the western end of a line which runs to Dalmeny. This was a double track junction.
This was a two platform station located partly in the cutting just to the north of Winchburgh Tunnel.
This is a double track tunnel with the former Winchburgh station at the north end and the former Broxburn West Signal Box for the Niddry Castle Oilworks to the south. At both ends it approaches in long cuttings.
This junction on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was for the Broxburn Oilworks branch, the Broxburn Railway. The branch also served the Albyn Oil Works. The branch was approached from the north.
This is a seven arch viaduct which crosses the A89. The viaduct is 139 yds long overall and 55 ft high. To the east is the much longer Almond Valley Viaduct.
This is a double track masonry 36 arch viaduct. The viaduct is 681 yds long overall and 60 ft high. The east end of the viaduct crosses the River Almond, the rest crossing the low lying land to the west. Alternative names for this viaduct are Almond Viaduct, Ratho Viaduct and Newbridge Viaduct.
This former station gave rise to the curiosity that is Ratho Station, a small village on the edge of Edinburgh with no station. (Akin to Balfron Station or even Stromeferry (no ferry)). Ratho Station, the village, developed to the north of the station.
This junction was east of Ratho station (on the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and Ratho (Low Level) (on the 1866 South Queensferry Branch (North British Railway)), formed with the branch opened.
The passenger and goods stations at Gogar were at different locations. Gogar is a rural area right on the western edge of Edinburgh.
This is a two platform modern glass and steel station built in Edinburgh Park, a business park to the south of the Gyle Centre and to the west of Edinburgh.
This was a four platform station on raised embankments to the east side of Saughton Road in western Edinburgh.
This junction is west of Edinburgh. This is where the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway of 1842 is met by the Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway) of 1890. The location is just east of the former Saughton station. Both lines are double track and from the east of the junction to Edinburgh the line is quadrupled.
This signal box was around a quarter of a mile to the east of the original connection between the 1890 Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway) and the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway at Corstorphine Junction. The signal box was on the south side of the line. The box opened in 1894, a year in advance of the quadrupling of the line between Corstorphine Junction and ...More details
This junction opened in 1876 when the Wester Dalry Branch and Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway) opened, allowing Caledonian Railway trains from Edinburgh Princes Street to join the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway westbound and then, via the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway, join the Scottish Central Railway at Larbert Junction and run north to Stirling, ...More details
This is a train maintenance depot in the west of Edinburgh, just west of Haymarket station and accessed from the east.
This junction is west of Haymarket station and Haymarket East Junction. The junction opened with the Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway junction in 1884.
This junction is directly west of Haymarket station. It opened in 1964, finally completing the line from Slateford Junction [1st] laid down in 1859. The connection was known as the Duff Street Spur. This joined together the former Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway).
This is a five platform station in the west of Edinburgh where the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and Caledonian Railway divide. An 1842 Georgian building, by John Miller, dating from the opening as a terminus now fronts a station which is a train, tram and bus interchange.
The Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was extended east from Haymarket through Haymarket Tunnels to what is now Edinburgh Waverley station through Princes Street Gardens and the Mound Tunnels under The Mound in 1846.
This is the main station in Edinburgh and acts as both a terminus and through station. The larger part of the station is covered by a large glazed roof by Blyth and Cunningham and is an island platform with bays at either end. There is a smaller island platform outwith the main roof on the south side.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
Central Glasgow 1893: Lanarkshire Sheet 6.10a (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Lanarkshire)
Edinburgh ( Western New Town) 1877: Edinburgh Large Scale Sheet 34 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Yard to the Mile)
Edinburgh (Rail Centres)
Edinburgh (Rail Centres)
|Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Guidebook (Auld Kirk Museum Publications)|
Edinburgh To Inverkeithing.: including The Port Edgar, North Queensferry And Rosyth Dockyard Branches. (Scottish Main Lines.)
Edinburgh Waverley Station Through Time
|Edinburgh's Transport: The Early Years v. 1|
Glasgow's Last Days of Steam
Haymarket Motive Power Depot Edinburgh: A History of the Depot, Its Work and Locomotives, 1842-2010
Landranger (66) Edinburgh, Penicuik & North Berwick (OS Landranger Map)
Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1
Memories of Steam from Glasgow to Aberdeen
Memories of Steam from Glasgow to Aberdeen
On Either Side, 1939: The Train between London King's Cross & Edinburgh Waverley, Fort William, Inverness & Aberdeen (Old House)
Rails Around Glasgow
The Next Stop: Inverness to Edinburgh, station by station
This Magnificent Line (the story of the Edinburgh-Glasgow Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian