Cowlairs East Junction

Cowlairs East Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Cowlairs East Junction (1878-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

This junction is located at the north of a triangular junction. A curve was put in during 1878 between the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and 1858 Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway. Its opening allowed goods and mineral trains to run from the north bank of the River Clyde towards Stirling, Falkirk and Edinburgh without requiring a reversal.

The signal box was on the west side of the line at the junction. It opened in 1876 (may have been replaced around 1899) and closed in 1956, replaced by the then new box Cowlairs Panel Box.

The Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway) crossed over on a long girder viaduct, Eastfield Viaduct, after 1894. There was no connection with the line beneath.

Eastfield Shed opened on the east side in 1904, some of the sidings connecting from the junction (the majority of siding were approached from Cowlairs West Junction to the south.

The north to west curve was singled with the replacement of Cowlairs Power Box.

Long before the Helensburgh line opened a tramway ran west to the Forth and Clyde Canal serving several ironstone pits. This connected with the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway via reversal. The trackbed of this tramway was later partially used by the Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway).

03/05/2019

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map