Cowlairs North Junction to Cowlairs East Junction (North British Railway)



Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This junction is at the western point of a triangular junction. It opened in 1876 when a chord from Cowlairs East Junction opened. The chord is presently single but was double. It links the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway to the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and is effectively a Glasgow bypass.
...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway
Gresley K2 2-6-0 no 1776 about to run through Cowlairs North Junction on 9 April 1949 with a West Highland train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/04/1949
Glasgow bound Sprinter crawls slowly past Cowlairs North Junction to a red signal on the approach to Cowlairs West Junction and the main E&G line into ...
Ewan Crawford 28/10/2006
Cowlairs North Junction looking east. The north curve (left) has subsequently been singled. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
3 of 3 images.


This junction is located at the north of a triangular junction. A curve was put in during 1878 between the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and 1858 Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway. Its opening allowed goods and mineral trains to run from the north bank of the River Clyde towards Stirling, Falkirk and Edinburgh without requiring a reversal.
...

More details

See also
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Gresley V2 2-6-2 no 60927 photographed passing Cowlairs East Junction on 26 April 1952. The train is the Glasgow - Leeds North Briton. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/04/1952
'Director' 4-4-0 no 62689 Maid of Lorn photographed passing Cowlairs East Junction on Saturday 26 April 1952 with a train for Fife. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/04/1952
J39 0-6-0 64897 held at signals with a lengthy freight at Cowlairs East Junction on 26 April 1952. The Eastfield breakdown crane stands alongside in ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/04/1952
Class 25 No. 7590 leads an Edinburgh-Glasgow push-pull working approaching Cowlairs East Jct. The photo is taken from Eastfield MPD (behind the ...
John McIntyre 16/09/1972
4 of 13 images. more