Lennoxtown [2nd]

Location type

Station

Names and dates

Lennoxtown (Blane Valley) (1867-1881)
Lennoxtown [2nd] (1881-1951)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Blane Valley Railway.

Description

This was a single platform station on the north (town) side of the line with a typical North British Railway station building.

Land was taken for a loop and second platform, but alhough the loop was laid the platform was not laid in. The loop was later lifted. The road bridge just to the west was built to accommodate two tracks. Goods facilities were at the former terminus Lennoxtown (Old), just to the north.

Some trains from Glasgow Queen Street High Level terminated here, but others continued to Blanefield and Aberfoyle.

Just to the east the Blane Valley Railway, on which this station stood, met the Campsie Branch of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway at Blane Valley Junction.

The road bridge remains but the site of the station has been landscaped. The trackbed is now a footpath.

Tags

Station footpath

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map



Books


Forgotten Railways: Scotland