Lennoxtown [1st] (1848-1867)
Lennoxtown Old (1867-1881)
Opened on the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This station was a terminus. The station had a trainshed with a platform on the east side. The goods yard was on either side of the approaching line.
When the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) was extended to Dumgoyne in 1867 by the Blane Valley Railway it was left on a short branch from Blane Valley Junction and a second station opened on the new line south of the original, Lennoxtown [2nd]. The original terminus remained open until 1881 when the Blane Valley was extended on by the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway and local teminating trains were diverted to Blanefield. The terminus was converted into a goods yard.
After conversion to a goods yard further loading banks were installed on the site of the passenger station. An engine shed remained here.
A siding ran to the Lennoxmill Print Works.
The line west closed to passengers in 1951 but remained open to goods until 1964, however the original terminus survived until 1966 as a goods station.
The terminus site was cleared and nothing remains. The trackbed east to Milton of Campsie and west to Campsie Glen is now a footpath.
Milton of Campsie
Back O Loch Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Lennoxmill Print Works
Blane Valley Junction
Campsie Alum works
Underwood Chemical Works
Glorat Lime Works
Lillyburn Print Works
Kincaid Print Works
Balquharrage Sand Siding
Carlston Sand Pit
Balgrochan Sand Siding
Campsie Glen Hospital
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|