Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Blane Valley Railway.
This was a two platform station.
Initially a terminus, there was an engine shed at the south end on the west side of the line and a goods shed and yard on the east side, all approached from the south. Locomotives passed through the locomotive shed to reach the turntable. There was a signal box at the south end, east side of the line.
When the line was extended by the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway it was from the east of the two platforms, the west platform line remaining as a terminal line. the extended line immediately crossed a road on the level, now the A81.
The station building, in brick, was on the east platform. In later days the platform was in concrete panels.
Killearn was better served by Killearn (New) on the new railway, this station was ultimately to be renamed Dumgoyne after the nearby hill.
Near the station was the Glengoyne Distillery.
Buildings at the station are now the Beech Tree Inn and the trackbed itself is now the West Highland Way. Little remains of the line other than the trackbed formation.
West Highland Way
The Glengoyne Distillery is east of the former station.
| Killearn Shed|
Drumquharn Tile Works
Dumgoyach Standing Stones
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/07/1867||Blane Valley Railway|
Opened for passengers. Stations at Lennoxtown [2nd], Campsie Glen, Strathblane, Blanefield and Dumgoyne.
|01/10/1882||Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway|
Line opened for passengers and freight from Dumgoyne to Gartness Junction and Buchlyvie Junction to Aberfoyle. Stations at Killearn, Gartmore and Aberfoyle.
|29/09/1951||Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Blane Valley Railway
Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Aberfoyle to Kirkintilloch [2nd] (excluded) closed to passengers. Passenger stations closed at Aberfoyle, Gartmore, Buchlyvie, Balfron, Killearn, Dumgoyne, Blanefield, Strathblane, Campsie Glen, Lennoxtown [2nd], Milton of Campsie closed.
Forgotten Railways: Scotland