This was a two platform station. The station was to the west of a level crossing and the station building, goods shed, loading bank and, notably, the signal box (dating from 1893, last of its type and ^B^ listed) still stand. The station building stands on what was the westbound platform, the signal box is by the level crossing.
The station building had a single storey waiting room, facing the platform, and a two storey main block.
The goods yard was on the south side of the line, approached from the west.
The station closed to passengers in 1934. The box and line closed in 1959.
The platforms are no longer obvious, the trackbed having been raised.
Boquhan Tile Works was to the north, served by a tightly curved siding.
The station was quite far outside Kippen itself, the village being a mile to the south west.
Port of Menteith
Bridge of Allan
Bridge of Allan [1st]
Callander Ticket Platform
| Gargunnock Saw Mill|
Burn of Cambus Bridge
Mye Gravel Pit
Port of Menteith Pier
Inch Talla Castle
Lake of Menteith
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/10/1934||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Closed to passengers from Balloch (Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]) to Gartness Junction and from Buchlyvie Junction to Stirling. The Gartness Junction to Buchlyvie Junction section was used by trains to Aberfoyle and Balfron and Buchlyvie stations remained open. Jamestown, Caldarvan, Drymen, Gartness, Port of Menteith, Kippen and Gargunnock closed to passengers.
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)