The station is largely eradicated. Some portions of the eastbound timber platform remain by the A811 road. There was a level crossing between the passenger station (to the east) and goods station (west). The loop extended from the one to the other, crossing the level crossing. The box was on the west side of the crossing, south side of the line. It had opened in 1892
The station closed to passengers in 1934 and the box became a ground frame. The line closed in 1959..
A timber yard now exists where the goods yard was. This sawmill was in operation back in railway days. Sidings were on the north side of the line, approached from the west.
The station house remains standing but the platform buildings are gone. The portion of platform remaining is the original platform, the station originally only having the one.
Meiklewood Bridge, where the B8075 crossed the River Forth, was just to the north of the station. Gargunnock was fairly distant from the station (nearly a mile away), Gargunnock House being closer. Both were to the south.
Bridge of Allan
Bridge of Allan [1st]
Port of Menteith
| Gargunnock Saw Mill|
Murrayshall Lime Kilns
Ardoch Burn Bridge
Cornton Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/10/1934||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Closed to passengers from Balloch (Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]) to Gartness Junction and from Buchlyvie Junction to Stirling. The Gartness Junction to Buchlyvie Junction section was used by trains to Aberfoyle and Balfron and Buchlyvie stations remained open. Jamestown, Caldarvan, Drymen, Gartness, Port of Menteith, Kippen and Gargunnock closed to passengers.
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)