This was a two platform station on the west bank of the River Leven near Balloch.
The line was a single track with a passing loop at the station. To the west still stands the Jamestown Viaduct [Balloch] on the other side of a level crossing. Sidings here served the Levenbank Print Works. To the east was a pair of sidings on the north side of the line, reversal from which led to the goods yard. A siding on the south side could be used to park a goods train while the engine went down the Dalmonach line.
The platforms were originally rather short but were extended east. The main station building was on the eastbound platform, at its west end alongside the level crossing. This was a single storey building. Platforms were in timber.
To the south the F&CJR^s Dalmonach branch opened in 1864. This branched from the east end of the station loop. A signal box was added in 1892.
Closure to passengers came in 1934. The signal box was reduced to a gate box in 1949. The Dalmonach branch lasted until 1957 and the line eastwards lasted until 1959, having been cut back to Drymen in 1950. Jamestown closed to goods in 1964. Track was lifted by 1966.
Nothing remains of the station. The station site is now Levenbank Road. To the west of the former level crossing it is a footpath.
| Levenbank Print Works|
Jamestown Viaduct [Balloch]
Milton Works (Dyeing) [Riverside]
Milton Works (Dyeing)
Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]
Alexandria Works (Printing and dyeing)
Croftengea Signal Box
Dalmonach Print Works
Gas Works (Vale of Leven Gas Co)
Loch Lomond Factory (Silk Dyeing)
Ferryfield Print Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1892||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Running powers between Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch], Jamestown and Dalmonach Print Works granted to the Caledonian Railway.
|01/10/1896||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
The Caledonian Railway may now run to Dalmonach Print Works via Jamestown.
|01/10/1934||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Closed to passengers from Balloch (Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]) to Gartness Junction and from Buchlyvie Junction to Stirling. The Gartness Junction to Buchlyvie Junction section was used by trains to Aberfoyle and Balfron and Buchlyvie stations remained open. Jamestown, Caldarvan, Drymen, Gartness, Port of Menteith, Kippen and Gargunnock closed to passengers.
|05/10/1959||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Jamestown (excluded) to Drymen closed completely.
|01/09/1964||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Croftengea Siding (excluded) to Jamestown closed completely.
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)